• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Collecting a Judgement resulting from Divorce Settlement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

schlange

What is the name of your state? Nebraska

I have an active judgement/bench warrent that was issued in the state of Missouri. I am currently living in Nebraska and my x-husband lives in Virginia.

I am told that I have the right to get his paycheck garnished in order to recover this debt. The problem is that I have no idea where he works or how to get this information.

I am wondering what I can do, if anything, to get something going on collecting this debt. I am also wondering if I can get at his tax return money for this debt.

Any information would be helpfull.

Thanks!

sapphire

The first thing you will have to do...domesticate the judgment in the ex husband's current county. To do that of course, requires locating him. Skip tracers can do this. After those two things, you can use all of the collection tools at your disposal...garnish wages, bank accounts, etc.
Steve

sapphire

The first thing you will have to do...domesticate the judgment in the ex husband's current county. To do that of course, requires locating him. Skip tracers can do this. After those two things, you can use all of the collection tools at your disposal...garnish wages, bank accounts, etc.
Steve

S

schlange

I do have an address for him but Iam told that in order to get the wages garnished I have to know where he works first. I have no idea how to get this kind of information.

racer72

It is almost impossible to garnish federal tax returns, forget about that option.

You can hire a private detective to find the info you need. If you have his SSN, there are ways to check for employement verification. Detectives are not cheap ($75 to $200 an hour) but they can be very good at what they do. Depending on the amount of the judgement, it may cost more to collect the debt than the actual debt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">