• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

credit card name removal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

schmitz

What is the name of your state? California. in 1998 I requested my name to be removed off my fiancee's credit card.we made the request in writting and called the bank and also requested it over the phone.we were told a week after the first correspondence that it would be taken care of. two years later my fiance had filed banckruptcy on this account and all writtings from the bank only contained his name. I am getting notices from a law firm requesting I pay the account and they claim I was the primary card holder which I was not. I would like to know if any cases pertain to this that I can use in my defense?

Ladynred

Were you an co-signer on this card or just an authorized user ???

Authorized Users are not liable for the accounts, except it *may* be possible if the creditor produced CC slips with your signature, you could be held liable for those charges - but they'd have to prove it.

If you were NOT a co-signer, and since you weren't married (community property doesn't apply), then I'd send this 'lawyer' a debt validation demand letter. Make him prove that you owe anything, make them produce an agreement with your signature if you weren't a co-signer. If they can't prove it, they have to cease collections and remove entries from your credit report.

www.creditinfocenter.com has great info on debt validation.

JETX

Additionally, if your name was originally on the account and you did not receive a written confirmation that it would be removed, you would still be liable for the account.

This is a written contract and requires the written permission of ALL parties in order to modify it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">