• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fiance is claiming 'our' credit card is no longer his responsibility, advice?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lexiedavid99

texas.

over a year ago, my fiance made sure that his name was on my old company. He was an "agent" or something ridiculous. He was on my business bank account, too. As it turned out, we had a business credit card, but I guess because he had the higher credit score -- they put the card only in his name. However, we both had cards. We didn't know this was the case. We thought we both had equal risk on the card. BOth of us were at the bank applying together.

He controlled all of my income/paychecks. And about 3 weeks before he left me -- I put a thousand dollars of travel expenses on that card. He knew about that. He wasn't happy, but it was because I was traveling for work and it was the best way to do it, until I got reimbursed.

After he left me/went no contact because of several reasons -- one being i wouldn't hand over a paycheck.... he left me with nothing except 2k in the bank account after taking out 15k the day before and putting it in his INDIVIDUAL ACCOUNT.

When he left me and tried to break all ties from me -- he found out that the credit card was only in his name. He went and cut all access to it. So my business account was depleted, my business credit card was cut off and I had no way to function for a short period of time.

He told the bank that the business was MINE and he should have no responsibility for the 1,000 on the card. He claimed identity fraud or something.

When we got back together 6 weeks later, I found out that he wanted me to pay the bill. He said that he would never trust me with credit or money again because I 'left him' with that bill.

I said YOU HAD ALL THE INCOME! He said I should have paid it asap after he left me. And he will never co-sign anything again with me.

He said the reason he emptied the accounts (basically) the day before he left me was because he was using it to pay bills from his auto bill pay on his individual account.
And that is true. That's what he would do - -he would take money out of our joint account and transfer to his to pay bills.

But, throughout the past year he hasn't paid that card. He claimed fraud and he still has the bank calling ME to pay it off.

Would you pay it off if you were me? Or leave him with the balance. I think he's already threatened to sue the bank too -- and somehow it's not impacting his credit score.

He says he will never help me with anything financial again because I didn't pay this bill and I have left him with it. To ME -- I feel like he should have used the rest of MY INCOME that he kept to "pay bills" and paid it himself. I don't think it's fair to make me pay it -- is it?

Last edited:

PayrollHRGuy

First you should keep all of your posts together. Then you should leave him and never look back as you have been told multiple times.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It's much easier for the responders to keep track of all the facts if they're all in one thread.

Thanks for understanding.

quincy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">