• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Quit job after first day and continued to deposit paycheck.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Are you guys lawyers?
At least one of the persons responding to you is a lawyer.

In this particular circumstance in every state you are not legally entitled to keep this money. I realize that if money was tight for you that it was tempting to take the money and spend it, but that impulse was a big mistake, because you will have to pay it back, perhaps with interest, and you might be criminally prosecuted. Paying it back before you get sued or prosecuted may help you avoid a lot of legal problems.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You know what they call people who accept money that is not due them, does not belong to them, was only provided as the result of an error and then refuse to return it, don't you?

They call those people thieves where I come from.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
Most certainly this is a troll, as I can't begin to imagine anyone being this dim.

But, on the off-change that OP really IS this obtuse, I'll ask this question: OP, how do you think a criminal record will affect your future prospects?

Just Blue

Most certainly this is a troll, as I can't begin to imagine anyone being this dim.

But, on the off-change that OP really IS this obtuse, I'll ask this question: OP, how do you think a criminal record will affect your future prospects?
I doubt even Piggly Wiggly will hire him/her.

No insult intended to any Supper Market Chain....:)

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Oh no, it may indeed be quite real. I have seen several cases over the years of people spending money they knew was wrongfully deposited into their bank accounts. They often rationalize it that since someone else made a mistake and it wasn't their fault that the money got there that the money is theirs to keep. Unfortunately, that rationalization gets them into trouble as the law most definitely does not allow them to keep the money.

quincy

Oh no, it may indeed be quite real. I have seen several cases over the years of people spending money they knew was wrongfully deposited into their bank accounts. They often rationalize it that since someone else made a mistake and it wasn't their fault that the money got there that the money is theirs to keep. Unfortunately, that rationalization gets them into trouble as the law most definitely does not allow them to keep the money.
I agree that what is described is not outside the realm of possibility.

People react differently when they discover money. They either look for the rightful owner (which is the best choice) or they think it is their lucky day. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">