• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

sued by collection agency

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mrknowldge

I am being sued by my city's collection agency in CALIFORNIA It is a small amount but I feel I am not guilty of such debt and I want to defend myself. The only problem is in the letter delivered in person to my house it states that the court will not receive any reply unless it is in the form of a legal form. Now I don't know what exaclty they are asking for therefore I am seeking any professional help you might be able to spare. Thanks a desperate innocent person overcharged by his dentist.....Dan.

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

You were served with a complaint. The cause of action is unpaid debt == So.....you need to file an answer to the complaint. In it, you will write out why you think you don't owe the money. Provide/attach evidence like checks, contracts, etc as proof (exhibits).

Go to your local superior court and get such a form.

M

mrknowldge

which form must i request?

lawrat said:
I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

You were served with a complaint. The cause of action is unpaid debt == So.....you need to file an answer to the complaint. In it, you will write out why you think you don't owe the money. Provide/attach evidence like checks, contracts, etc as proof (exhibits).

M

mrknowldge

which form must i request?

lawrat said:

which form # is the one I must fill out the superior court will not give me this information please help

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

You're going to need form #982135 (ANSWER - Contract). You're also going to need the form called "Verification / Proof of Service" to attach to the "Answer". You'll serve a copy on the Plaintiff, you'll keep a copy for yourself, and you'll file the original with the court. When you file the original with the Clerk, make sure you have your checkbook with you - - you'll be required to pay a filing fee.

Good luck. You're going to need it.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">