• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

X wife filed for bankruptcy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

gottheshaft

I am in Texas. My X-wife recieved half of our credit card debt in our divorce settlement. I paid off the cards I was responsible for. She remarried and shortly thereafter filed for bankruptcy. The credit cards she was responsible for were included in the bankruptcy. Now one of the creditors is calling me as much as 10 times a day threatening to subpeona me if I don't pay the dbt that my wife has filed on. I am the primary on the card, but I have told the creditor that my X was ordered to pay. They tell me I am responsible for the debt and it doesn't matter if she included it in her bankruptcy. Is there anything I can do to stop the harassment?:confused:

G

gottheshaft

She is paying

I'm not sure of the details about my X's bankruptcy, but I know that she is having to make a very small payment to all of the creditors. She is still responsible for paying them, they just aren't getting the money as fast as they want it.

djohnson

Your divorce decree is just an agreement between you and your ex, no one is forced to except those terms other than you and her. When she filed bankruptcy they can no longer collect it from her. Even in a 13 she might have to pay back 1 to 20 percent of unsecured claims but the chances of the credit card company getting anything is slim. They have every right to come back after you. You might want to talk to your divorce attorney for them to explain.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">