• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Purchase trademark after bankruptcy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Futurebusiness

Hi my friend and I are interested in starting a brew pub. We’ve had several great ideas for names but with the overstauration of the market, we keep determining that it’s all been done before. If a bar or restaurant goes bankrupt, is their trademark available for purchase and reuse As a bar again across America? Is there a database or listing of bars/restaurants that go bankrupt? Thank you.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Hi my friend and I are interested in starting a brew pub. We’ve had several great ideas for names but with the overstauration of the market, we keep determining that it’s all been done before. If a bar or restaurant goes bankrupt, is their trademark available for purchase and reuse As a bar again across America? Is there a database or listing of bars/restaurants that go bankrupt? Thank you.
There is no reason to start a new thread on what is a closely related topic. https://forum.freeadvice.com/starting-operating-business-3/naming-my-llc-638669.html

quincy

What is the name of your state?

The bankruptcy of a company does not mean their trademark is available for use by another. Depending on the type of bankruptcy filed, the trademark can continue to be used by a company or the trademark could be one of the assets sold.

Federally registered trademarks can be found by doing a search of the USPTO's database: https://www.uspto.gov

https://www.uspto.gov/trademarks-application-process/search-trademark-database

In the US, trademarks do not have to be registered for a holder of a mark to have rights in a name, however, so your trademark search cannot start and end with the USPTO. You must also search state registrations and do a more general search engine search of specific names you are looking at using that are not registered but are in use as a company/goods/services identifier.

It is important to note that even if a trademark search shows a mark as "dead" or "abandoned," trademark rights may still attach to the name (think "Edsel").

Many people hire a trademark search firm because the searches must be thorough and can be time-consuming.

One way to avoid infringing on another's rights to a name is to invent your own word to use as an identifier. This is what Google and Kodak and Adidas did. Or you can use a real word in an unexpected way - which is what Arrow shirts and Penguin books and Apple did.

(Didn't notice the previous thread, Zigner. Sorry.)

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">