• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unclaimed charitable donations from a business.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Keets

Hi guys,

Didn't know where else to ask this, I'm from the UK but my parents used to live in the USA, whilst living in Chicago they attended a charitable auction evening for a well known US charity, they were offering a customised guitar as a "prize" which they were in turn offering to me. This items in question has remained unclaimed as I couldn't decide on the artwork (my bad). This company in question has now announced in a newsletter they are getting liquidated after being acquired by a larger company (they had intentions of expanding their business, poor guys) as a asset. I've tried to contact them via direct email and through their online form but as of yet have received zero correspondence. They've explained in their newsletter they do have some existing stock they are heavily discounting and offering for sale, I've requested to take one of these as an alternative (of less value) but again no response.

What is the legal stance on this matter? I'm relatively clued up in the UK regarding finances/insolvency/law but obviously with a different country these things have a great deal of variation between countries. Can you help me with some advice. Thank you ever so much for any advice you can give in this matter. If it makes it easier the auction in question happened in Illinois but the business in question is based in California. If any other details are required to clarify this please let me know, I would obviously like to get this matter resolved as quickly as possible.

P.S If this thread should have been posted elsewhere my sincere apologies didn't know what other category it should be placed in :p but thanks for any and all assistance.

justalayman

First, how long ago did this auction occur?

To be clear;

Your parents purchased a guitar at the auction and gifted it to you? If true, how was it known to the charity they were purchasing it for you? Did they purchase it in your name or simply gift it to you after the auction and the charity dealt with you based on knowing that fact?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The reality of the matter is that you are in the UK and they are in the US. Unless you, or your parents (depending on who actually would have grounds to sue) want to travel to the US on your own diem to sue the non-existent company for money that they don't have, then this whole thing is moot. The legal term is: You snooze, you lose.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">