• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

contract question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M2tisted

I signed a contract with a horse boarding facility. When I asked about terms, I was told i did NOT have to have a year lease. on the contract there is a statement that reads "Comencement of this contract shall begin on ______ and be concluded on ______ and/or when manager gives 30 days written notice to conclude this contract" In the first blank I wrote July 1, 2005 (which is the day I moved my horse there), but in the second blank I wrote nothing. I wrote nthoing because I did not want a year contract. Someone other than myself, AFTER I signed it and without my knowing wrote in June, 30, 2006. It is clearly not my handwriting. and was just made aware of this yesterday. I had written a note to the manager that I was going to move my horse in thirty days. He called and said he wanted 60 days, (even though the contract says nothing about 60 days) to get out of my year lease (which I was unaware of). What does this mean for me? do I have to wait 60 days or until June 30, 2006, or do I have other rights?

In the state of Colorado

Last edited:

divgradcurl

M2tisted said:
I signed a contract with a horse boarding facility. When I asked about terms, I was told i did NOT have to have a year lease. on the contract there is a statement that reads "Comencement of this contract shall begin on ______ and be concluded on ______ and/or when manager gives 30 days written notice to conclude this contract" In the first blank I wrote July 1, 2005 (which is the day I moved my horse there), but in the second blank I wrote nothing. I wrote nthoing because I did not want a year contract. Someone other than myself, AFTER I signed it and without my knowing wrote in June, 30, 2006. It is clearly not my handwriting. and was just made aware of this yesterday. I had written a note to the manager that I was going to move my horse in thirty days. He called and said he wanted 60 days, (even though the contract says nothing about 60 days) to get out of my year lease (which I was unaware of). What does this mean for me? do I have to wait 60 days or until June 30, 2006, or do I have other rights?

In the state of Colorado
Do you have a copy of the contract that has nothing written in the expiration date area? If so, give your thirty days, move your horse out, and if he decides to sue you, you can show your version of the contract to the court, and you will likely prevail.

If you don't have a copy of the contract that has nothing written, you are probably sunk. If they have a signed contract with an expiration date, well, it doesn't really matter that it's not in your handwriting -- how will the court know that you didn't authorize them to write in the date before you signed it?

If you don't have an original without an expiration date, probably your best bet is to pay the 60 days and be done with it. You would likely lose in court, and you could be held liable (potentially) for the entire balance of the year contract.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">