• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hired a writer (independent contractor) who produced copyright-infringing work

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dishonestysucks

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

I hired a US-based writer to write something for me for $1,000, with $500 paid upfront and $500 on delivery. A couple of weeks ago I sent him the first $500 through PayPal.

When he sent me the material that he wrote, I plugged it into copyscape.com and found that the writing he produced is heavily plagiarized from another website. So I told him it was unacceptable.

My question now is, since the work he produced is an infringement on someone else's copyright, I don't need to pay him the final 50% for the work, right?

And also, what is the best way for me to get the initial $500 back from the guy, assuming he doesn't grant me a refund?

Thanks very much!

justalayman

well, without reading the contract (and no, do not post it here), there is no way to tell if you can demand the money back or if you have to pay the guy the rest of the money. If the terms of the contract allow him enough time to write another "something" that would fulfill the contract, you would have no action available to you until the writer failed to fulfill the contract.

If there is no time limitation, this could be a very long wait.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">