• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Music Licensing Proposal question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

simplest

My friend and I are consider starting an indie label and planned to license some musics from other labels for a compilation series.
I have received a reply to one of the requests asking for a proposal. Since I am still new to the music business I am uncertain what proposal the person might be referring to...

I assume it has something to do with the details f the compilation that we will be using the tracks on?...

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Since I am still new to the music business I am uncertain what proposal the person might be referring to...
Well, if you don’t know, certainly we won’t either as you have not said what the person actually said. So give us details on that. Also, in what country do to you plan to create and market this music?

quincy

My friend and I are consider starting an indie label and planned to license some musics from other labels for a compilation series.
I have received a reply to one of the requests asking for a proposal. Since I am still new to the music business I am uncertain what proposal the person might be referring to...

I assume it has something to do with the details f the compilation that we will be using the tracks on?...
Are you located in the US? If so, in what state do you reside? If not, in what country do you reside?

You have not provided enough details but if you have not come up with a plan for use of the music or worked out a licensing and royalty agreement, you are not yet ready to start a business using the copyrighted works of others. I suggest you and your friend sit down with an entertainment lawyer to determine what you need to do to get to where you want to be.

simplest

Thanks for the reply.

I am actually located in New York. My friend and I do indeed planning to visit a specialized lawyer in music industry next week to discuss about the various issues with starting a music label, licensing, etc.

We mostly planned to do some dance musics related compilations. I did ask for clarification of the proposal and the person replies and ask for the scope of the compilations and terms.
I assumed it would be things like number of tracks for the compilations, countries where compilation will be released, and so on?...

quincy

Thanks for the reply.

I am actually located in New York. My friend and I do indeed planning to visit a specialized lawyer in music industry next week to discuss about the various issues with starting a music label, licensing, etc.

We mostly planned to do some dance musics related compilations. I did ask for clarification of the proposal and the person replies and ask for the scope of the compilations and terms.
I assumed it would be things like number of tracks for the compilations, countries where compilation will be released, and so on?...
It is smart for you and your friend to consult with a legal professional and in your area. That is always the best first step for anyone to take when contemplating starting a business.

You will want to have a clearly written proposal to present to the copyright holders whose works you wish to license.

Good luck.

FlyingRon

What your lawyer will tell you is that you are looking for master rights (the right to reproduce a previously produced recording). There's no fixed price for being allowed to do this. You will need to negotiate with whoever owns those rights (typically the record company and the related music publisher involved). While your lawyer is working on this he can also explain the various licensing issues you need to be aware of going for. Just calling yoruself "indie" doesn't mean that you have no ongoing issues with various rights (mechanical, performance, etc...).

What it does mean as indie is that you are likely shut out of some of the common clearning houses (RIAA/HFA, etc.).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">