• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My Contractor Outsourced His Work Can I Sue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kingmo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

Long story short I hired a guy to design my video. He said he was USA based and that all work is done here, now the project is done (quite lousy I might add) and I come to find out he just had some dude in China do the project. I can prove he did this.
Can I sue and if so for what and how hard and / or costly of a case will this be?

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

Long story short I hired a guy to design my video. He said he was USA based and that all work is done here, now the project is done (quite lousy I might add) and I come to find out he just had some dude in China do the project. I can prove he did this.
Can I sue and if so for what and how hard and / or costly of a case will this be?
You could sue (anyone can sue) but I do not see that there is any reason for you to do so. You hired someone to create your video and a video was created for you.

kingmo

You could sue (anyone can sue) but I do not see that there is any reason for you to do so. You hired someone to create your video and a video was created for you.
but it was a really poor quality video. I hired this guy based on his credentials that he advertised and got the work done by some kid across the world. There's really no law against this?

quincy

but it was a really poor quality video. I hired this guy based on his credentials that he advertised and got the work done by some kid across the world. There's really no law against this?
There is nothing that prevents outsourcing a job. You potentially have an argument for misrepresentation and could try to negotiate a lower price for the video.

Do you have a signed contract?

kingmo

There is nothing that prevents outsourcing a job. You potentially have an argument for misrepresentation and could try to negotiate a lower price for the video.

Do you have a signed contract?
but isn't it false advertising to tell someone you are doing it and in reality have someone else do it? I mean I have a useless video now and I lost a lot of time from marketing during the holiday season there's major loss to my business in that

No I don't have a signed contract just a lot of back and forth including him saying I will be handling the work personally

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
but isn't it false advertising to tell someone you are doing it and in reality have someone else do it? I mean I have a useless video now and I lost a lot of time from marketing during the holiday season there's major loss to my business in that

No I don't have a signed contract just a lot of back and forth including him saying I will be handling the work personally
And he'll say he personally found a subcontractor to do the job.

quincy

]B]but isn't it false advertising to tell someone you are doing it and in reality have someone else do it?[/B] I mean I have a useless video now and I lost a lot of time from marketing during the holiday season there's major loss to my business in that

Have you seen the attorney commercials on TV where the firm's lead attorney is pushing his legal services? Surprise! He is not the one who will be handling your case. The cases are handled by others (often associates) in the firm.

It is not (necessarily) false advertising to promote a business using the business's figurehead as spokesperson.

I do not see you have much to support a lawsuit. You just chose a poor company to create the video for you. But there is nothing to prevent you from arguing quality with the videographer and seek a discount or refund (although I suspect you will not get a refund).

How much did you pay for the poor quality video?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">