• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Relocation Expense Repayment Contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jeep03kj

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I'm in need of some legal advice if you would be willing to provide it. I was hired by Company A on June 1, 2004. Today, one year later, I have accepted a position with Company B. I am leaving Company A on June 10 and start at Company B on June 13. When I was hired by Company A, I signed a letter that the Director of Human resources sent me. The letter contained information about 401k, Health Care, Life Insurance, and Relocation. I received a check for $6400 from Company A to help defray the costs of my relocation. I've copied the last portion of the letter below. I am now being asked to pay back Company A an amount close to $3500 because I am leaving the company before my two year "agreement" is complete.

1. I only received $5303 from Company A.
2. I received the check on June 10, 2004, NOT at the time of my relocation like is said in the agreement.

This letter is the only thing I have signed. The mentioned Relocation Authorization form below was just giving them permission to send my information to a moving company. My question is, the letter states, "The language used it not intended to create, nor should it be construed to constitute, a contract between Company A and its employee." My assumption is that this letter is not in any way shape or form a contract or agreement between myself and Company A. Meaning that I should not owe back the requested $3500. What are your thoughts?

I've also attached the "policy" that is referred to in the letter.

Relocation: You should complete and return the enclosed "Relocation Authorization Form" along with other documents described below. Your authorization form will be sent to Company C, one of the nation's most experienced relocation companies, and their representative will contact you to help you prepare for your move.

The Company helps defray relocation expenses. As a non-homeowner, you will receive a lump sum payment of $6400 to help you manage your relocation. The lump sum will be grossed up as described in the policy and will be given to you at the time of your relocation.

Still further, you should carefully review the other sections of the policy as well. Please note section 6.3 which describes how the company amortizes its relocation costs, and the responsibility of newly hired employess who leave the company within two years.

The contents of this letter are presented as a matter of information only. The language used it not intended to create, nor should it be construed to constitute, a contract between Company A and its employee. Be advised that employment with Company A is "at will" and continued employment is dependent on performance, economic conditions, and other factors.

If the state terms of employment are acceptable to you, please sign both copies of this letter and the "Confidentiality Agreement" on the lines designated for your signature. Keep one of the copies for your file and return the other to me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">