• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

From Salt Lake City, Utah

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vinnythekidd

I may or may not have signed a non-compete when I started working for a karaoke company in Salt Lake two and a half years ago. I'm still waiting for them to show me a copy with my signature on it.

I quit last month to start my own company, doing basically the same thing. I couldn't recall if I' d signed an agreement and I decided to just risk it.

My question is this: Someone told me that non-compete agreements are difficult or impossible to enforce in Utah being that this is a right-to-work state. Is that true?

Also: I haven't filled out a 1099 or W-4 form since I started working for them 30 months ago. I've been paid in handwritten personal checks the entire time and when I did fill out tax forms, it was a 1099, which I think makes me an independent contractor. Does any of this help my case at all? Or am I just grasping at straws?

Thanks very much,
-V

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">