• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Scholarship repayment ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Brilla

Hello,
In 2004 I started a 2 year nursing scholarship from a New Jersey institution, lets call them ABC. I completed the first semester (of four) and ABC reimbursed my claim for $2,095 to cover tuition and books. During the second semester (in 2005) I had to withdraw from the course. I paid the tuition for the second semester myself and did not claim anything from ABC. Recently I received a letter demanding repayment of the $2,095.

The contract reads as follows;
"We are delighted to award you our first nursing scholarship..."
"We agree to pay (4) semesters of tuition at XYZ College plus $500 per semester for books. In return, you agree to work at ABC for two (2) years upon your licensure as an RN."

As I can't complete the course and will never become licensed as an RN, do I have to repay the first semester of tuition? Nowhere in the contract does it stipulate that I must repay the scholarship if I fail or can't complete the course. Never have I heard of a student having to repay a scholarship...

The certified letter demanding repayment is dated December 18th but didn't arrive at my house until December 22nd. It states that if they don't hear from me within two weeks they will take my silence to mean that I am responsible for repayment by January 31st. The letter also refers to an enclosed contract which they of course didn't enclose.

I don't have much time to decide what to do.

Thanks in advance for all your help,

Brilla

Happy Trails

Hello,
In 2004 I started a 2 year nursing scholarship from a New Jersey institution, lets call them ABC. I completed the first semester (of four) and ABC reimbursed my claim for $2,095 to cover tuition and books. During the second semester (in 2005) I had to withdraw from the course. I paid the tuition for the second semester myself and did not claim anything from ABC. Recently I received a letter demanding repayment of the $2,095.

The contract reads as follows;
"We are delighted to award you our first nursing scholarship..."
"We agree to pay (4) semesters of tuition at XYZ College plus $500 per semester for books. In return, you agree to work at ABC for two (2) years upon your licensure as an RN."

As I can't complete the course and will never become licensed as an RN, do I have to repay the first semester of tuition? Nowhere in the contract does it stipulate that I must repay the scholarship if I fail or can't complete the course. Never have I heard of a student having to repay a scholarship...

The certified letter demanding repayment is dated December 18th but didn't arrive at my house until December 22nd. It states that if they don't hear from me within two weeks they will take my silence to mean that I am responsible for repayment by January 31st. The letter also refers to an enclosed contract which they of course didn't enclose.

I don't have much time to decide what to do.

Thanks in advance for all your help,

Brilla
How about responding to their letter with a CRRR letter - stating you don't understand why you owe them this money. Then perhaps they will make it clear to you as to why they feel you do. Also include in your letter - that your contract didn't stipulate that you would have to repay it if could not complete the course and that they forgot to enclose a copy of the contract.

I don't know what the exact terms of your contract were, but having them clarify that for you isn't unreasonable.

Brilla

Happy Trails,
Thanks for the good advice, tomorrow I will follow up with a certified letter as you suggest.

The contract was literally just the 2 quotes I placed in my first message and doesn't refer to any other documents. I didn't sign anything else.

Thanks,

Brilla

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">