• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal advise needed please!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Tstone66

I live in Virginia and recently purchased my first house. I had my own home inspection done before closing and the seller did a disclaimer form. He did not disclose anything about water damage. 3 weeks after moving into the home we found extensive water damage in the 3rd floor bathroom. I contacted the seller and of course he had no knowledge of the damage prior to the sale. The repairs cost me $3,500.
I desided to take the seller to court to see what damages I could recover. I had 3 witnesses appear on my behalf, my realtor, the contractor who completed the work and a past renter who lived in the home for 9 years. After a 4 hour court battle I was declared the winner but I was only awarded $1,900 due to the fact that I would benefit from the resale of the home. The judge felt that the seller intensionally covered up the water damage to sell the home by putting new paint on the walls and new lyno on the floor. The past renter also stated that on several occassions she had mentioned the water damage to the seller and he just ignored it.
I was feeling good about winner this civil case on my own without an attoney but now the seller is appealing the case. He's only defense was that we signed a disclaimer form releiving him of any obligations after the sale. Well during my first trial I proved that the disclaimer form was null and void by all of his cover-up's.
My question to the group would be, can a disclaimer form legally be null and void if the seller is found to have covered up damage? If so, have there been any court cases where this has actually happend? I would like to research this matter further to be more prepared for my 2nd trial. Thank you!

HomeGuru

Pardon me but I just don't get it. You pay thousands of dollars to buy your home then discover problems in the amount of $3500 and do not seek legal counsel in suing the Seller?
That's why you won so little.
A good attorney that specializes in real estate seller disclosure issues would have cited the cases at your initial trial. And used those same cases to probably win the entire cost to correct as well as legal fees and court costs.
I surmise quite a few problems with your approach and how you presented the case. I also have the feeling that you do not understand the basis for an appeal.

T

Tstone66

I really don't care that I won so little, it only cost $2,500 to repair the bathroom damage and I'm not out to get rich from this what-so-ever. All I wanted to accomplish was to get my money back and I feel without legal counsel I did extremely well. Why pay a high priced attorney and take a chance of losing plus have legal fees to pay? That's what doesn't what sense!!!
The seller had an attorney and look where that got him, he lost the first trial. People always say, get an attorney when it's not necessary.
I do know why he is appealing the case, because he's a doctor and doesn't like to lose.
Once again, I try to get advise from a disgussion board and end up having to explain myself to someone. If there is anyone out there with meaningfull advise I would love to hear from you.

support

I agree with her, home guru. i think your being a bit hard on her. How can you fault her for not wanting to gamble MORE money on an attorney? You know as well as anyone else, that even though your right... YOu dont automatically WIN. And is she expected to know exactly what an attorney can do for her? Shes already been taken by a seller, you expect her to trust an attorney? I say this because Im in the same situation, Ive been taken too, and Ill tell you.. after dealing with my incompetent Real estate agent, and idiot seller, I dont know who to trust anymore. Tstone, your decision to go court without an attorney is a good one, if it worked for you at the time. You may have gotten an incompetent attorney who just took your money, then again maybe not. But I'll tell you this.... Everyone kept telling me "GO THROUGH A REAL ESTATE AGENT WHEN YOU BUY A HOME..BE REPRESENTED".... and all the real estate agent got me was a mountain of troubles and misery because they did not inform me of certain issues. Now in all fairness, Home Guru, i do understand where you are coming from.Because I have decided to take my chances again,and go with an attorney, because the damages are so extensive. But just try and be more gentle. This person is suffering, I know because I am too, and she is looking for help. which is hard to find in todays world.

Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">