• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My soon-to-be ex just sold a house and public document says it sold for $0???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sweeterpea

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MARYLAND

My husband purchased a home while we were married (only his name is on the deed), and I recently found out he sold it last month. I will be filing for divorce soon, after 2 years of separation, and was curious how much he made off the sale to decide if it's something I want to pursue in our upcoming divorce. When I found the property sale info on MD Taxation and Assessment website, Transfer Information says selling price was $0??? Also, the listed new Owner is a Land Trust name, and mailing address is a woman's name. Can you please explain what reasons there are why/how the price is reflecting $0? I'm SURE he didn't just give it away. Thank you!

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

My husband purchased a home while we were married (only his name is on the deed), and I recently found out he sold it last month. I will be filing for divorce soon, after 2 years of separation, and was curious how much he made off the sale to decide if it's something I want to pursue in our upcoming divorce. When I found the property sale info on MD Taxation and Assessment website, Transfer Information says selling price was $0??? Also, the listed new Owner is a Land Trust name, and mailing address is a woman's name. Can you please explain what reasons there are why/how the price is reflecting $0? I'm SURE he didn't just give it away. Thank you!
Why are you posting and lying? Come on now. You just lost all credibility. In the other thread, it was a friend of yours.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
It sounds like he has transferred the house into a trust under another person's name in order to conceal the asset.

Keep track of all the marital assets he tries to hide.
She is lying in either this thread or the other:

My friend, who we'll call 'Susie', was in an abusive marriage with 'John' for 12 years, had two children with him, and has been separated for 2 years now and is ready to proceed with divorce. During the time they were together, John purchased a house, with only his name on the deed. Here's where it gets really screwy: John NEVER lived in the house, NOR paid the mortgage. Susie's brother and sister-in-law were the occupants and have been paying the mortgage from the get-go. When Susie and John separated two years ago, Susie moved into the house and part of the time she was living there for free, and for a period of time she was renting a room. We find out John just sold the house last month out from under Susie's brother sister-in-law. When Susie files for divorce, is she entitled to any of the money made from the sale of the house, or any other source of compensation? Also, I found the property on MD Dept of Assessments Taxation, but in Transfer Information it lists the sale price as $0 so not sure what that means and how that will play a part in the event she wants to pursue getting half of the money. Thx!

sweeterpea

She is lying in either this thread or the other:
To set the record straight, "Susie" is a friend of mine and SHE is the one going through this issue. My intent was NOT to deceive, but rather to simplify my inquiry. The second time around - posting in the real estate forum - I decided it would just be easier to put it in first-person. Again, my intent was not to DECEIVE and I don't appreciate being called a liar.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Please feel free to have Susie log on to ask her own questions (under her own UserID). Better yet, tell Susie to speak to a local attorney about this matter.

Just Blue

To set the record straight, "Susie" is a friend of mine and SHE is the one going through this issue. My intent was NOT to deceive, but rather to simplify my inquiry. The second time around - posting in the real estate forum - I decided it would just be easier to put it in first-person. Again, my intent was not to DECEIVE and I don't appreciate being called a liar.
Posting in the first person was a lie. Hence you are a liar.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You did lie. You stated it was YOUR husband. That is not the truth. Hence you lied. If you don't want to be called a liar, don't be one. That is so simple.

Last edited by a moderator:

sweeterpea

You did lie. You stated it was YOUR husband. That is not the truth. Hence you lied. If you don't want to be called a liar, don't be one. That is so simple.
I understand what a lie/liar is, but I'm pretty sure you are intelligent enough to know what I meant when I said I didn't appreciate being called a liar. It's such a blanket statement - many which I could make of lawyers - but I chose to be civil. In hindsight, perhaps I should've just stated at the outset that it was a "hypothetical" then proceeded in first-person. Regardless, whether it's me or my friend in the scenario really makes NO IMPACT on the outcome/answer I am seeking. Isn't that the whole purpose of this forum, to answer people's questions??? Not to criticize and name call the people who are coming to you for assistance. Stick to the matter at hand or don't reply to my thread at all.

sweeterpea

Please feel free to have Susie log on to ask her own questions (under her own UserID). Better yet, tell Susie to speak to a local attorney about this matter.
Hello, I would've gone that route; however, she is Spanish-speaking only, does not have access to a computer and not computer savvy, and wouldn't know what questions to ask. As a friend, I am looking into this for her. Thank you!

PayrollHRGuy

I understand what a lie/liar is, but I'm pretty sure you are intelligent enough to know what I meant when I said I didn't appreciate being called a liar.

li·ar
ˈlī(ə)r
noun
a person who tells lies.
synonyms: deceiver, fibber, perjurer, false witness, fabricator, equivocator

You told a lie hence you are a liar.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I understand what a lie/liar is, but I'm pretty sure you are intelligent enough to know what I meant when I said I didn't appreciate being called a liar. It's such a blanket statement - many which I could make of lawyers - but I chose to be civil. In hindsight, perhaps I should've just stated at the outset that it was a "hypothetical" then proceeded in first-person. Regardless, whether it's me or my friend in the scenario really makes NO IMPACT on the outcome/answer I am seeking. Isn't that the whole purpose of this forum, to answer people's questions??? Not to criticize and name call the people who are coming to you for assistance. Stick to the matter at hand or don't reply to my thread at all.
A) You were answered on your other thread.
B) We as a forum don't answer "hypotheticals".
C) I didn't make a general statement of peas... I called YOU specifically a liar because YOU LIED.
D) Calling you a liar is not name calling but pointing out to others that your story changed between your two threads. Oh and it is also a fact because in the other thread it was a friend's husband and in this thread it was YOUR husband.
E) Stick to the truth or don't post. Really not that difficult.
F) Posting the same thread (or similar) is spamming and not appreciated on this forum.

sweeterpea

YOU have proven yourself a liar. Unconscionable is lying to people who are asking for help. And read the TOS .... not everyone on here is an attorney. I am ... If you were a friend you would encourage her that she is smart enough to learn. EVERYONE is. People like you are apparently liars and not to be trusted... because that is what you have shown this forum. Have a good day.
That's fine...you ALL can call me a liar as much as you want...your opinion really doesn't mean much to me esp considering you have all told at least one lie in your life (and surely of much more seriousness than the one I stated on here). So that not only makes you liars but also hypocrites. But more than anything, you are just BULLIES, and that is much worse than the non-consequential lie I told on here and I am not going to waste one more second of my time communicating with you.

Just Blue

That's fine...you ALL can call me a liar as much as you want...your opinion really doesn't mean much to me esp considering you have all told at least one lie in your life (and surely of much more seriousness than the one I stated on here). So that not only makes you liars but also hypocrites. But more than anything, you are just BULLIES, and that is much worse than the non-consequential lie I told on here and I am not going to waste one more second of my time communicating with you.
sigh...

There was no reason for you to start this thread and LIE. So...Why did you?

HRZ

" Susie" needs a real attorney especially if hubby is into moving or hiding marital assets ,

IF you want to help...go get a copy of the deeded transfer...and find the recordation and transfer fees and taxes paid ..they might tell a different story as to values used.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">