• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Prepaid interest

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

RogerM

What is the name of your state?
California

I just closed my refinance and noticed the following charges in the closing costs.

Prepaid interest to New lender: 01/23 - 1/30 = $x
Residual interest to Old lender 01/01 - 01/28 = $y

This sounds like I am being charged interest for some overlapping time(5 days 1/23 - 1/28) from both the lenders. Is this legal? Why should I be paying double interest?

Thanks

Roger

T

Thomas234

As you may have seen, I have my own battle going in a similar situation.

Based on what you have written, it sounds as if you closed on your new mortgage 1/23? It is my understanding, in Illinois at least, one has three business days to rescind on a mortgage. As such, the payoff to your old lender will not be "overnighted" to them until after that period has passed. Which means they won't receive the payoff until 1/28.

My speculation would be that the old lender will then refund to you the interest you paid at closing for the period of 1/23 to 1/28. Or they may simply hope you don't notice, and keep the money.

But you do need to definitely look into this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">