• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What would you do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Upsetinwv

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WV

We are first time homebuyers. We have a buyers agent but not an attorney and I'm figuring I will need one shortly.
We presented an offer on a property in early September 2017.
It was a divorce situation and both parties were still on the property.
Wife signed to sell. Husband was compelled by his lawyer to sign as wife was taking him to court to force the sale. He signed 3 days before court date.
We have inspection scheduled and all documents are in underwriting by late october. Our closing is set for November 22.
During all this the only person I had regular contact with was my underwriter. I initiated contact with my buyers agent several times over several weeks. All I received was a we are set to close on Nov. 22. Well we did not close.
Inspection on November 6 found 7 issues to be repaired. Small things probably not totaling over 700.00 to fix.
Husband started repairs himself. On Nov 15 husband was killed in traffic accident.
So wife completes all repairs by Dec. 4. Re inspection is okay. Our rate lock expires on Dec.8. They blew the rate lock and cost us 2200.00
In wv you have 30 days after date of death to file the will with the county clerk. As of today I don't believe the will has been filed. His children from his previous marriage have to pick an executor.
Property deeded as joint tenant with wife. Closing attorney says will has to be opened to probate to see how to distribute proceeds from sale.
Our contract expires on Dec 29th. Our new rate lock expires on Jan 8.
We have informed all parties that if we do not close by Dec 29 we will walk away.
Assumption was by the property being held as joint tenant with right of survivorship she should be able to sell the property.
Evidently I misunderstood the right of survivorship part.
There was no Quit Claim filed by husband or wife.
Do I need a lawyer to walk away. I see this being a long drawn out battle between children and 2nd wife. A battle I want no part of.
My agent has been Mia as usual. No email returned in the last 4 days. And I'm going straight to voicemail when I call.

adjusterjack

You won't need a lawyer to just walk away.

You'll need a lawyer if you had put up any earnest money and want it back because it's almost a guarantee that nobody is going to give it back voluntarily or admit that they are the ones obligated to do so.

And you'll need a lawyer if somebody sues you.

By the way, there is no such thing as a "buyer's agent." It's a scam perpetuated by realtors. A realtor doesn't get paid unless the house sells. Think about it. Who is the agent really representing?

If you don't believe me, try asking a realtor to waive commission in writing and work for you for a flat fee or hourly fee.

Upsetinwv

At this point I'm ready to forfeit earnest money.
I just want it over with.
I'm figuring they can't provide me with a clear deed when my contract expires. I refuse to extend it again.
If they decide to sue it would not be unexpected.
We have preformed by time limit and cleared all contingencies our end.
The seller cannot preform. And I refuse to wait 6 months or more for probate to be completed through the children of the first marriage. They seem intent on punishing the ex wife. So they will drag it out as long as possible.

hugomurray

There are many situations that call for hiring an attorney or a lawyer. Chances are, if you think you might need an attorney, it's a good idea to at least contact one to see if he or she can help. If you feel that you can't afford an attorney, you can look into legal aid resources that might be able to help you with your particular situation.

quincy

There are many situations that call for hiring an attorney or a lawyer. Chances are, if you think you might need an attorney, it's a good idea to at least contact one to see if he or she can help. If you feel that you can't afford an attorney, you can look into legal aid resources that might be able to help you with your particular situation.
Please look at posting dates, hugomurray. There are threads more recent than last December that need attention.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">