• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Age a child can fly alone

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Epona

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Hello again
I wanted to ask when a child can start fly alone. My childs age range is 6 and 9 years old so I know that it is not a possibility right now nor would I permit it at any of those ages. But what age is a reasonable age? I started to fly alone when I was 14.

I did not want to give actual age for identification reasons.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Hello again
I wanted to ask when a child can start fly alone. My childs age range is 6 and 9 years old so I know that it is not a possibility right now nor would I permit it at any of those ages. But what age is a reasonable age? I started to fly alone when I was 14.

Some airlines allow Unaccompanied minors on direct flights at the age of 5 or 6 -- the parent would have to pay a fee for Unaccompanied Minors but the hcild could fly without a parent or guardian.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member

Hello again

A general guideline is 5 on a nonstop, 8 with one stop but no deplaning, 12 for the rest. It varies by airline, but that's something you'd have to find out from the specific carrier.

Both of my children 8 and 9 fly on southwest nonstop. They don't have a fee and they have the most nonstop flights. We have found it difficult to find tickets on other airlines that were nonstop or at the very least no change in aircraft. I am sure it veries by destinations though.

Kiawah

Do an internet search, there are websites which give the guidelines which vary by airline. Each airline can have their own set of guidelines, which I would expect to find on their respective site. I did find last year a site which shows each airline side by side.

We were arranging last summer, shipping all of the cousins around to different cities visiting the the different homes.

WittyUserName

Mine is six, and has flown alone on non-stop flights with no problem several times. I'm fortunate in that the flights have always been fairly short (under 90 min) and the airline requires her to have a non-stop flight but honestly? She's always been well taken care of.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Mine have been flying on their own (together and separately) since hey were 5 & 7, so for about the past 10 years. Nary a problem. It can actually be a huge confidence builder.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">