• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Birth control

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mellymel67

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kentucky
my ex put my my 15 year old daughter on birth control without my consent i am against this because i think she is too young and this would just encourage her to become sexually active. anyways i pay child suport and 1/3 of medical expenses for my children and what i would like to know is birth control a medical expense and am i legally obligated to pay for the birth control?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
There are reasons other than sexual activity to put a girl on BC, depending on the form. However, would you prefer she hae sex and get pregnant? Refusing to provide BC is not going to stop your teen from having sex, if she is determined. Believe me - I know plenty of girls that age whose parents refuse to acknowledge the possibility. Can't tell you how many pregnancy tests I have bought for my daughter's friends (and yes, I do know they are for friends).

mistoffolees

There are reasons other than sexual activity to put a girl on BC, depending on the form. However, would you prefer she hae sex and get pregnant? Refusing to provide BC is not going to stop your teen from having sex, if she is determined. Believe me - I know plenty of girls that age whose parents refuse to acknowledge the possibility. Can't tell you how many pregnancy tests I have bought for my daughter's friends (and yes, I do know they are for friends).
I agree with that - but would also buy the girl a box of condoms since the pill isn't going to prevent diseases. You can certainly encourage her not to have sex, but if she does, it's better to be safe than sorry.

My ex is much like OP in terms of thinking that she can simply stomp her feet and demand that the child never have sex. But even she was willing to go along with Gardasil vaccination.

However, since this is a legal site, if ex has done that without discussing it with you, (and assuming that you at least have joint legal custody), you could file for contempt. Legally, ex is required to discuss major medical decisions with you - and that probably counts. HOWEVER, I would strongly advise against it because the judge is more likely to slap your hand than your ex's.

As for payment, it depends. If the birth control was for medical reasons (it is sometimes prescribed for girls with heavy, painful periods and/or severe acne), then you have to pay. If it is completely voluntary, you don't have to - although a birth control pill prescription is about 1,000 times cheaper than a baby.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Oh, I agree, misto. Funny, my ex wanted #2 to get the Gardisil (sp) vax, and I raised holy Hades with him AND the doctor he had start the series. Mostly 'cause it had just come out and kiddo was 12. Heck to the no! :eek:

Anyway... if I knew my kiddo was planning on getting it on? I would have her put on BC, and I would likely NOT tell her other parent. Sorry, but... we have a history with behavior when it comes to personal (female) issues and I will not subject her to a repeat. Besides, she'll be 18 very soon.

DownTime

There are legitimate health reasons to put a 14 year old on birth control.

If the OP is so willing to, maybe talking to the DRs office that perscribed them and requesting copies of the records is an idea.

More important though, talking to her daughter openly and without anger or accusation is even better.

mistoffolees

Oh, I agree, misto. Funny, my ex wanted #2 to get the Gardisil (sp) vax, and I raised holy Hades with him AND the doctor he had start the series. Mostly 'cause it had just come out and kiddo was 12. Heck to the no! :eek:
The CDC now recommends that it be applied routinely for girls 11-12. They're also recommending it for boys, as well.

xylene

Birth control is under 10 bucks a month.

If she is going to a clinic it might even be free.

OP - What is one third of free? :rolleyes:

Proserpina

Quick question.

If this IS about reproductive health, wouldn't kiddo be able to obtain BC without her parents consent anyway?

When I was a teen and asked my mom to put me on birth control, she said I wasn't allowed to have sex:rolleyes:. So I asked an older cousin to take me:D.

OP, would you rather have to help your 15 year old daughter raise and support a baby, or pay a few bucks a month to prevent that?

ecmst12

You WANT to get the vax done w before the child is even thinking about sex. And there are 12 year olds out there having sex, hopefully not yours but it happens.

mellymel67

The form of birth control is the depo-provera shot, I don't believe its used for any other purpose than birth control. I don't know much about this form of birth control and possible side effects it may have. So does anyone know if a parentis legally obliged to pay for this expense for a child?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">