• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CA Rights of father to unborn child to keep child in state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lagla

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
My brother's girlfriend is 7 months pregnant. They currently live together in CA. She is threatening to move back to Ohio where she is from. Does my brother have any rights to keep the baby in CA?
Is there anything to file to keep the mother from moving before the baby is born?

Just Blue

My brother's girlfriend is 7 months pregnant. They currently live together in CA. She is threatening to move back to Ohio where she is from. Does my brother have any rights to keep the baby in CA?
Is there anything to file to keep the mother from moving before the baby is born?
If your brother wishes to join and ask about HIS LEGAL issues we would be very happy to assist. Please let him know. Thanks....

LdiJ

She is perfectly free to move to OH or anywhere else that she likes while she is pregnant. If the baby is born in CA then he would have a decent shot at keeping the child in CA, but its not guaranteed by any means. I believe that in CA the burden of proof would be for him to demonstrate that it would not be in the child's best interest to leave CA.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
He can file to establish paternity now, before she leaves. In fact, he should give that thought some serious consideration.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">