• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I lose custody of my baby if he is born addicted?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kmae89

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

I am currently 34 weeks pregnant and I am trying to wean off of Klonopin before delivery. I have had severe anxiety throughout my pregnancy and I’ve been prescribed Zoloft, Buspar, and Klonopin. I am concerned that if I deliver before I wean off the Klonopin, that the baby could possibly be born addicted and CPS take my child away. It is a legal prescription so I’m not sure if that makes a difference?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

I am currently 34 weeks pregnant and I am trying to wean off of Klonopin before delivery. I have had severe anxiety throughout my pregnancy and I’ve been prescribed Zoloft, Buspar, and Klonopin. I am concerned that if I deliver before I wean off the Klonopin, that the baby could possibly be born addicted and CPS take my child away. It is a legal prescription so I’m not sure if that makes a difference?
Have you spoken with your doctor(s) about your concern(s)?

PayrollHRGuy

The first warning about Klonopin on the National Institutes for Health website is.

It is not safe to take this medicine during pregnancy. It could harm an unborn baby. Tell your doctor right away if you become pregnant.

Kmae89

Have you spoken with your doctor(s) about your concern(s)?
He wants me off the medication. I am trying to stop taking it but I have overwhelming anxiety to the point I can’t leave my house. I don’t think he understands the extent of my anxiety.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
He wants me off the medication. I am trying to stop taking it but I have overwhelming anxiety to the point I can’t leave my house. I don’t think he understands the extent of my anxiety.
I don't think you understand the seriousness of taking the medication while pregnant. And what harm that can do to your child. When did you tell him he were pregnant? And why did he continue to prescribe it to you if he wants you off the medication?

Last edited:

adjusterjack

You shouldn't be having a baby if you are that much of a basket case.

And, yes, if the baby is born addicted, it could be taken from you.

xylene

You should consider inpatient treatment. By consider, I mean you should drive there right now and check yourself in.

Also, you need to realize that your anxiety will be much worse as you withdrawal from the drug and are clear for some time. That could be years. Honestly, your threshold for acute anxiety could be permanently lower from taking the drug for so long and that may be something you'll need to cope with, without drugs.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">