• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can the NCP force an adoption??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

autumnsmom

WI...

My boyfriend and I are considering marriage. Our main concern is about my youngest daughter from a prev relationship. My daughter has kidney disease, and my BF and I agree that he shouldn't adopt her because there might be tests that both parents will have to do when her kidneys start to fail...If I marry my BF, can my ex force him to adopt my daughter to get out of his parental responsibilities??? Will the courts go along with that???

Reason that I'm asking is that my ex doesn't want anything to do with his child and he might try to get his parental rights revoked if I do marry.

Any advice would be helpful...

VeronicaGia

He cannot force anyone to adopt his child.

He can give up his parental rights all day, but that will not relieve him of his duty to pay support. It will only mean he has not right to see or be involved in his child's life.

A

autumnsmom

So the NCP could sign his parental rights away...even though my BF is stating that he doesn't want the responsibility of my daughter after we're married??? Don't get me wrong, he loves my daughter, he just believes that the natural father needs to take the responsibility for her in some way.

tigger22472

He can sign his rights away but he will still have to pay child support so don't hold your breathe. Usually the only reason they are willing to sign away rights is so they don't have to pay. The conception by NCP is that if they pay they have the right to see the child even if they don't use that right. They don't usually push it if they owe support but the second that it's taken out of a check they think they can come around no matter how long it's been. My ex won't sign over rights because he likes the idea that he's a father. I'm sure when he meets people he tells them he has two boys and probably what a horrible person I am. However fact is he's over 11,000 behind in child support and has seen or talked to his kids MAYBE 15 times in over two years and either me or my family have done ALL transportation for any visits.

G

Grandma B

The answer to each of your questions is simply "NO"

You can get married, live happily ever after, and your daughter will remain the obligation of her bio father until she becomes of legal age (could be longer if she's disabled before reaching maturity).

A

autumnsmom

would the courts even consider allowing him to sign away his parental rights given my daughter's health issue???
Tigger....my ex lives in CO and I live in WI...he moved far away so that he can live guilt free of the knowledge that he has a child...so I'm not expecting to see him anytime soon, he never used the visitation that he was awarded...he always told me and the courts that if he used his visitation with my daughter his girlfriend(now wife) would leave him, and his gf was the most important thing in his life

haiku

you may not be able to enforce his right to visitation, but you can enforce his obligation to pay child support.

No court will suspend child support when granting sole physical and legal, custody, unless you agree to it. no court will suspend his parental rights and obligation to support, unless you are agreeable, you are married, and your spouse adopts the child. The court wants to avoid having to support this child at all costs.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">