• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can remarrying void a custody order and child support order?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

VICATHIELLE

What is the name of your state? VA I married my ex in 1995 and divorce him in LA., in my divorce decree I received physical joint custody of my daughter and was awarded child support for her. Does remarrying him in Va., in 1999 and divorcing him void the first order place in LA.?

VeronicaGia

Did you ever go to court and tell them that you were remarried to him, thereby stopping the child support order?

I agree momma_tiger.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

VICATHIELLE said:
What is the name of your state? VA I married my ex in 1995 and divorce him in LA., in my divorce decree I received physical joint custody of my daughter and was awarded child support for her. Does remarrying him in Va., in 1999 and divorcing him void the first order place in LA.?

My response:

A spousal support and child support obligation, along with a visitation order imposed in the dissolution of a prior marriage is extinguished by the supported party's remarriage even if the remarriage is to the obligor former ex-spouse. If they again divorce, any spousal support order in the second dissolution proceeding must be based on the present marriage.

In summary, your prior court orders are "dead."

Now, you get to start all over again!

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">