• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can wife take kids out of the country without my permission?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dkenner

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
Wife says she wants a divorce, but no further action has been taken. She is planning on taking the kids to Canada for 2 + weeks. The kids have passports. However while there my 7 year old son will be at the mercy of the twins, 2 teenage boys who on every occasion make threats against my son. The tell him to eat something the know will harm him. They have told him to jump in the deep end of the pool, when they knew he couldn't swim. They told him he could fly off the roof, etc. I will not be there to protect him.

Any advise is greatly appreciated!

Just Blue

Wife says she wants a divorce, but no further action has been taken. She is planning on taking the kids to Canada for 2 + weeks. The kids have passports. However while there my 7 year old son will be at the mercy of the twins, 2 teenage boys who on every occasion make threats against my son. The tell him to eat something the know will harm him. They have told him to jump in the deep end of the pool, when they knew he couldn't swim. They told him he could fly off the roof, etc. I will not be there to protect him.

Are all these children yours?

BTW: A 7 year old should know how to swim. Take the kid to the Y for lessons.

LdiJ

If the children has passports there really isn't anything that you can do to stop their other parent, who has equally legal rights to yours, from traveling to Canada with the children. The courts would consider their mother competent to supervise them.

Also dad, you won't be living with your child full time anymore in the future, so you are going to have to accept him being out from under your eye for part of the time anyway.

HRZ

OP! If you have any fear that your wife might not return to CA from Canada ...then first thing Monday you get divorce counsel , yes, you didn't post any such question , but think ahead.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
OP! If you have any fear that your wife might not return to CA from Canada ...then first thing Monday you get divorce counsel , yes, you didn't post any such question , but think ahead.

Can you please at least try to be coherent?

:rolleyes:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
The border may stop mom if both parents are not there if there is not permission from the non traveling parent.

eerelations

The border may stop mom if both parents are not there if there is not permission from the non traveling parent.
Or not. As in "Hi we're here, about to visit some family and friends in Canada, staying for a week and then going home! See you in a week!"

HRZ

If your STBX has ties outside the country and you have fears about her returning with your common child...then discuss it with counsel Monday .I . think in CA to file for divorce creates an immediate block on ability to remove child from CA...but review with counsel . .

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
The border may stop mom if both parents are not there if there is not permission from the non-traveling parent.
I always had documentation w/Dad's okay but was never asked. Of course, that was quite a few years ago.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Sometimes a banana is just a banana. :cool:

LdiJ

If your STBX has ties outside the country and you have fears about her returning with your common child...then discuss it with counsel Monday .I . think in CA to file for divorce creates an immediate block on ability to remove child from CA...but review with counsel . .
Not for vacations...for relocations.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Is mom a Canadian citizen or US? What about the kids? If mom is on Canadian passport and children on American....

CJane

We travel to Canada pretty often, with my 2 bio kids and 4 step kids. We've never sought permission from any of the other parents. Only once have we even been asked anything about the other parents, and it was upon our return. A BP agent said "Are you both either the parent or step parent of all of the kids (3 different last names flagged us)?" Yup, we're both one of those things to everyone, so we were on our way again in about 12 seconds.

The kids under 16 don't travel on passports to Canada. We carry their military ID and birth certificates. The over 16s and I travel with the WA "enhanced license" that allows for border crossings via land or boat (but not air). Hubby travels on a passport. So even with lots of kids, different forms of ID, 3 different last names, etc... it's never once been even a slow down at the border.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">