• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Change of Name for Children

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

appasgirl

Massachusetts

Good Afternoon,

I have filed a request to change my daughter's name from Bio Dad's last name to Bio Dad's last name AND stepfathers last name. Therefore, their name would be hyphenated like mine is. They are 12 and 11 and have requested that I do this for them.

My quandry is this. I am doing this on my own,without a lawyer (can't afford one). Today, I received Bio Dad's objection to this request. I could understand this if he had a relationship with the kids, but he does not.

I know that I have to request a hearing and that's about it! I don't know what to do after that. In Bio Dad's objection his lawyer stated that

Bio Dad shares legal custody with me (he does);

That I have stopped Bio Dad from seeing the children (have
not; his wife has) For the past 10 (TEN) years; the girls
have been available and he has CHOSEN not to contact or see
them.

He states that he pays chid support (he does, after I got DOR
after him.

And he states that he pays all uninsured medical and dental
bills. He does NOT. He still owes me $1350 in dental bills AND
for the past 4 years, I have not given him medical receipts
because it ends up costing me over 3000 in lawyer fees to get
the money out of him.

So what am I asking? Not sure....I guess, since I and doing this on my own, how do I present this to the judge? how do I let him know that he is NOT the "wonderful" father his lawyer makes him out to be and I am NOT the "monster: he states in his objection.

Furthermore, the girls want this. They want NOTHING to do with Bio Dad (there own words).

Any advice here would be just wonderful. Thank you :)

haiku

My husbands divorce was settled in Ma.

if bio-dad does not agree to the name change it cannot be ordered.

if he is not following the judgment for medical take him back for contempt. My husband recently did this with his ex.

I am sorry I cannot be more helpfull than that, sometimes kids just end up with real jerks for "real"dads.
:(

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">