• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Continuation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

baconvet

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota

In Family Court, I don't have an attorney because I can't afford one until I get paid. Can I ask the court for a continuance until I can afford an attorney? My exwife has an attorney.

LdiJ

In Family Court, I don't have an attorney because I can't afford one until I get paid. Can I ask the court for a continuance until I can afford an attorney? My exwife has an attorney.
You need to keep your questions in one thread, but I am going to answer you here anyway.

Normally yes, you can ask for a continuance to hire an attorney, and normally they are granted. However, in your particular case the judge might very well deny you.

You interrupted mom's summer visitation by getting a protection order against her because you alledge that she hasn't been administering some kind of medication to the child.

The judge cannot be fair to all parties (you, mom and the child) in this case. Why? Because if the judge grants you a continuance mom and the child will likely not get their summer time together at all. That isn't fair to mom or the child. Most likely the judge will want to hear the evidence then and there. Mom's attorney will certainly argue that point.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
https://forum.freeadvice.com/child-custody-visitation-37/extended-summer-visitation-520254.html

Or is this simply another ploy to further reduce your ex's time with the daughter you share? Expect her to ask the court to allow her make-up time based on your game-playing, and don't be surprised when she gets it. Nor should you be surprised when the judge orders you to pay at least part of her legal fees. You filed against her - if you felt you needed a lawyer, that would have been the time to get one. :mad:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Most likely not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">