• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dad wants step-mother to exercise his visitation time-regularly

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TTMom

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My son's father has been trying to get my son to have visitation with his partner (girlfriend, now wife) when he is not available. He was able to 'plant himself' here 2014/2015 to pretend like he was available and pretending he had no work (because he can afford this charade). Our legal agreement was made during this period of time; he spent upwards of $100K to save $300 a month in child support. He is financially and emotionally abusive even though he pays his child support religiously.

He travels a lot for work and has been out of state for over 2 years. He has exercised his visitation <1% during this time. He is now proposing to return in mid-March and has threatened me numerous times about returning to court.

I sent him information about a mediator to help us come up with an agreement (which is court ordered and he also does not make himself available for this). He responded saying, "I will not agree to less than 50/50, refusal to go to mediation and there won't be exclusion of step-mom made just like I wouldn't have the right to do if you have someone in your life".

Details: My son has stated he does not want to spend time with step-mom without Dad present. Our court order currently is physical custody with Mom and shared legal custody at this time. It also stipulates a 50/50 schedule where Dad forfeits time he is unavailable to exercise visitation but will spend at least 30% with child. He has not exercised this visitation right at any really regularity for over 2 years by his own choice; 1- week per quarter but has not seen him since September of 2016 as of today. I have not prevented him access to the child. Dad travels a lot for work, it would not be a pick up at after school care and Dad will be home late tonight. It would be step-mom having child for regular visitation when Dad will never be present. This could go on for months not occasionally.

Question: I want to ensure our child experiences visitation with Mom or Dad not step-parent in lieu of Dad. How can I maintain this? Side note to question: Dad is a master manipulator. Based on comments from my son's psychiatrist it is likely Dad has narcissistic personality disorder (i.e., his behavior will never stop, there is no treatment for NPD). His desire for this arrangement is purely financial. He has been trying to manipulate our child to dislike Mom since he was born. He assumed child was upset when he would leave because child did not want to be with Mom, rather than realizing the child is expressing his frustration with not understanding time and not understanding when he'll see you again.

Key point: He spends more time trying to gather information against me to use in family court than he does tracking our child's activities. He will threaten me by stating he is documenting the number of times he calls and I am keeping him from our son. He calls when we are not available for various reasons (eating dinner, doing homework, child is at sports, child is at church group, I am literally just getting him to understand his homework, etc.). He will obsessively call my home # and cell # (15 times back and forth) until I angrily pick up and say we are busy and unavailable or until he gives up or we are not even home and the mobile phone is dead. I have also told him Monday - Thursday we are too busy to have calls, any other day is great. He insists we succumb to his schedule when all he has to do it go to work in a day. Meanwhile, I work full time (scientist), parent, drive a long commute (110 miles per day), school work, family time,manage care schedule for child all year long, maintain a home single-handedly in the Sierras (maintenance, snow clearing, fire safety) etc. He refuses to accept poor planning on his part does not constitute an emergency on our part.

Psychiatrist has stated I need to limit my communication with him. It's really my only way to peace.

Please help!!

Last edited:

LdiJ

My son's father has been trying to get my son to have visitation with his partner (girlfriend, now wife) when he is not available. He was able to 'plant himself' here 2014/2015 to pretend like he was available and pretending he had no work (because he can afford this charade). Our legal agreement was made during this period of time; he spent upwards of $100K to save $300 a month in child support. He is financially and emotionally abusive even though he pays his child support religiously.

He travels a lot for work and has been out of state for over 2 years. He has exercised his visitation <1% during this time. He is now proposing to return in mid-March and has threatened me numerous times about returning to court.

I sent him information about a mediator to help us come up with an agreement (which is court ordered and he also does not make himself available for this). He responded saying, "I will not agree to less than 50/50, refusal to go to mediation and there won't be exclusion of step-mom made just like I wouldn't have the right to do if you have someone in your life".

Details: My son has stated he does not want to spend time with step-mom without Dad present. Our court order currently is physical custody with Mom and shared legal custody at this time. It also stipulates a 50/50 schedule where Dad forfeits time he is unavailable to exercise visitation but will spend at least 30% with child. He has not exercised this visitation right at any really regularity for over 2 years by his own choice; 1- week per quarter but has not seen him since September of 2016 as of today. I have not prevented him access to the child. Dad travels a lot for work, it would not be a pick up at after school care and Dad will be home late tonight. It would be step-mom having child for regular visitation when Dad will never be present. This could go on for months not occasionally.

Question: I want to ensure our child experiences visitation with Mom or Dad not step-parent in lieu of Dad. How can I maintain this? Side note to question: Dad is a master manipulator. Based on comments from my son's psychiatrist it is likely Dad has narcissistic personality disorder (i.e., his behavior will never stop, there is no treatment for NPD). His desire for this arrangement is purely financial. He has been trying to manipulate our child to dislike Mom since he was born. He assumed child was upset when he would leave because child did not want to be with Mom, rather than realizing the child is expressing his frustration with not understanding time and not understanding when he'll see you again.

Key point: He spends more time trying to gather information against me to use in family court than he does tracking our child's activities. He will threaten me by stating he is documenting the number of times he calls and I am keeping him from our son. He calls when we are not available for various reasons (eating dinner, doing homework, child is at sports, child is at church group, I am literally just getting him to understand his homework, etc.). He will obsessively call my home # and cell # (15 times back and forth) until I angrily pick up and say we are busy and unavailable or until he gives up or we are not even home and the mobile phone is dead. I have also told him Monday - Thursday we are too busy to have calls, any other day is great. He insists we succumb to his schedule when all he has to do it go to work in a day. Meanwhile, I work full time (scientist), parent, drive a long commute (110 miles per day), school work, family time,manage care schedule for child all year long, maintain a home single-handedly in the Sierras (maintenance, snow clearing, fire safety) etc. He refuses to accept poor planning on his part does not constitute an emergency on our part.

Psychiatrist has stated I need to limit my communication with him. It's really my only way to peace.

Please help!!
As far as communication with dad is concerned, there is something called "My Family Wizard" which allows communication between the parents to be recorded and available for the judge, mediator or other court professionals to review. Google that and check it out. If it sounds like something workable for you, then ask the judge to order it to be used for all communication between you and dad.

I understand why both you and the child have no interest in stepmom exercising dad's visitation. How badly do you need the child support that you are currently receiving? Dad pretty clearly wants 50/50 in order to reduce child support. If you do not need the money, perhaps you could give him the same reduction he would receive anyway, as long as he is willing to stipulate in the order that he must be present during his parenting time or its forfeit.

However, one thing in your post that will cause a judge to hand you your backside is the fact that you do not allow free telephone access to your child...at least within reason. Saying you are too busy Monday through Thursday for your son to be able to talk to his dad on the phone would likely seriously irritate a judge. What you need is a schedule where dad may call the child during a specific period of time two or three days a week, and then you plan your schedule around those times.

TTMom

Thank you, Is this considered regular?

Thank you for the reference to "My Family Wizard", I will look into it.

I do need the child support because of the oppression he's conducting; He would not allow me to leave our rural location to pursue better job opportunities available to me. He stated, I can leave but the child stays during his time planted here in 2014/2015. Dad is able to go out of the community and earn to his hearts content for extended periods of time without any responsibility to anyone else. Historically, he refuses to agree to any specific visitation dates and times during the year, siting the unpredictable nature of his job. It has been the huge issue all along. However, with Dad's job change it appears to me this is no longer an issue since I've heard him reference vacation time, Thank YOU for helping me realize this fact.

While I have said, we're too busy Monday through Thursday for the child to be able to talk to his Dad on the phone on a regular basis, I don't prevent it with the exception of maybe a couple times where I reacted as I described. The example I recalled was from a period of time when we had 30+ feet of snow to deal with and our time at home was extremely limited due to getting home late and still having to conduct our normal routines. My son's teacher has recently been convinced homework is not entirely beneficial and this removes a huge obstacle to extra time to talk on the phone with Dad this school year during the week. I assume, the majority of his documented times are related to unknown attempts to reach the child during child's activities. Our child is also in the process of being diagnosed as ADHD which does make evening routine more time consuming than other families may experience.

I will work on a schedule where Dad may call the child/child call Dad during a specific period of time two or three days a week. The child actually does talk to Dad two or three times a week. I am certainly providing and maintaining this frequency. Is this considered regular?

In the absence of Dad's willingness to stipulate in the order he must be present during his parenting time or its forfeit, do I have any other recourse? Language to use in negotiations?

Thank you for your insight!

Last edited:

LdiJ

Thank you for the reference to "My Family Wizard", I will look into it.

I do need the child support because of the oppression he's conducting; He would not allow me to leave our rural location to pursue better job opportunities available to me. He stated, I can leave but the child stays during his time planted here in 2014/2015. Dad is able to go out of the community and earn to his hearts content for extended periods of time without any responsibility to anyone else. Historically, he refuses to agree to any specific visitation dates and times during the year, siting the unpredictable nature of his job. It has been the huge issue all along. However, with Dad's job change it appears to me this is no longer an issue since I've heard him reference vacation time, Thank YOU for helping me realize this fact.

While I have said, we're too busy Monday through Thursday for the child to be able to talk to his Dad on the phone on a regular basis, I don't prevent it with the exception of maybe a couple times where I reacted as I described. The example I recalled was from a period of time when we had 30+ feet of snow to deal with and our time at home was extremely limited due to getting home late and still having to conduct our normal routines. My son's teacher has recently been convinced homework is not entirely beneficial and this removes a huge obstacle to extra time to talk on the phone with Dad this school year during the week. I assume, the majority of his documented times are related to unknown attempts to reach the child during child's activities. Our child is also in the process of being diagnosed as ADHD which does make evening routine more time consuming than other families may experience.

I will work on a schedule where Dad may call the child/child call Dad during a specific period of time two or three days a week. The child actually does talk to Dad two or three times a week. I am certainly providing and maintaining this frequency. Is this considered regular?

In the absence of Dad's willingness to stipulate in the order he must be present during his parenting time or its forfeit, do I have any other recourse? Language to use in negotiations?

Thank you for your insight!
Just realize that you must never use any wording that indicates that you would ever be reluctant for dad to talk to his child. EVER.

If you can demonstrate how little dad has utilized his current parenting time you would be able to fight against a 50/50 schedule now as being too abrupt of a change for the child. If you can demonstrate how often dad travels for works you can also fight against a 50/50 schedule. However, I would recommend that you hire an attorney to fight for you.

You can also perhaps discuss with your attorney the possibility of offering dad no child support if he allows you to relocate with the child for a better job in your field.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess

Please help!!
Hire an attorney. You're going to need one.

Just Blue

Please help!!
I STRONGLY suggest you keep your posts to your own thread till you have a chance to learn about family law and how this site works. K? ..

t74

Please help!!
If your child's therapist actually suggested a diagnosis without treating Dad - or even hinted at Dad's health issues, you need a new therapist. That is inappropriate conduct.

Are you saying that once your child begins doing homework, he is not allowed to get a snack or take a bathroom break. Dad's calls are no different.

Dad's time IS family time. You are claiming that yours is important and his is not. This does not speak well of you; a scientist should have better analytical skills than you demonstrate in your posts so that claim does not work in your favor.

Unless your order dictates the days and times he may call, you are way, way out of line. Have you bothered to give Dad your child's schedule? If he does not have time for Dad, you have over scheduled him and some activities need to go away. You cannot complain about the number of times he calls if you are not picking up; he is reasonable to assume you were not home and needs to call again. Now you complain that he is calling multiple times trying to speak with your shared child; you created the need for him to try multiple times.

Your need to increase your psychiatrist visits because your attitude as presented in your posts needs adjustment.

I can see why you see Dad as difficult; he is dealing with an irrational being if you are as arrogant with him as you have been on the forum. You are setting an example for the child with your behavior. Grow up and put your kid first. If you cannot, maybe Dad need to be the custodial parent. You need to remember that you one day may have to live by the agreement you two negotiate. If you would not like it, Dad should not have to like it either.

And, get an attorney!

Just Blue

If your child's therapist actually suggested a diagnosis without treating Dad - or even hinted at Dad's health issues, you need a new therapist. That is inappropriate conduct.

Are you saying that once your child begins doing homework, he is not allowed to get a snack or take a bathroom break. Dad's calls are no different.

Dad's time IS family time. You are claiming that yours is important and his is not. This does not speak well of you; a scientist should have better analytical skills than you demonstrate in your posts so that claim does not work in your favor.

Unless your order dictates the days and times he may call, you are way, way out of line. Have you bothered to give Dad your child's schedule? If he does not have time for Dad, you have over scheduled him and some activities need to go away. You cannot complain about the number of times he calls if you are not picking up; he is reasonable to assume you were not home and needs to call again. Now you complain that he is calling multiple times trying to speak with your shared child; you created the need for him to try multiple times.

Your need to increase your psychiatrist visits because your attitude as presented in your posts needs adjustment.

I can see why you see Dad as difficult; he is dealing with an irrational being if you are as arrogant with him as you have been on the forum. You are setting an example for the child with your behavior. Grow up and put your kid first. If you cannot, maybe Dad need to be the custodial parent. You need to remember that you one day may have to live by the agreement you two negotiate. If you would not like it, Dad should not have to like it either.

And, get an attorney!
^^Wicked LOVE this post^^

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess

And, get an attorney!
Excellent post.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
An additional thought wrt phone contact. We went through similar, but I handled it differently. Send Dad the child's schedule to let him know when kiddo has commitments and when kiddo is available. Tell Dad that if he calls at an inconvenient time, kiddo will return call as soon as possible - and make sure that happens. It's one thing to have a "no phone calls at dinner" rule (I still have that); it is another to block out the entire evening as "unavailable". Have your son call Dad before dinner, or directly after, a fewnights a wseek. He can call from the car after an activity. Build that into his routine.

I know you said that they speak several times a week, but your original post indicated that that is not the case. And apparently you did tell Dad that Mo-Th, kiddo is not available for calls. Hopefully you have records showing that that is not the case.

I agree that you will likely need a lawyer.

HRZ

OP you would be smart to have a lawyer by sometime next week. ...Dad does NOT get to make the rules as to your move away .and you are unwise to use his views ......and right now status quo may give you a bit of an edge on moving .

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
OP you would be smart to have a lawyer by sometime next week. ...Dad does NOT get to make the rules as to your move away .and you are unwise to use his views ......and right now status quo may give you a bit of an edge on moving .
Not necessarily, HRZ. Mom can move anywhere - the child may not.

HRZ

Yes you are correct....Mom is free to move wo child and If was not in context. OP needs counsel pronto ..seems to me status quo of an absent rarely visiting parent is likely a weak bar to Mom and child relocating w court permission especially within CA ....IF OP moves that ball forward with counsel quickly . BUt Mom needs counsel .

A lot of her comments do not help her......It s a bit hard to follow just how much visitation Dad has been exercising .

Eekamouse

Why did you make it a point to call your ex's wife everything but that before calling her step-mom? Partner? Girlfriend? She's his wife therefore your child's step-mom. Obviously, you have a problem with that. You sound to me like a control freak kind of parent who can't see her own flaws but is plenty quick to list all of her ex's shortcomings. You're not sharing one of your toys with the ex. Your child is also HIS child and you don't get to play selfish little games.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">