• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Godmother seeking custody of abandoned and neglected children.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rbklove

I live in Arkansas and I am the Godmoter of 2 small children. The boy is almost 3 and the girl is 18 months. Their parents do not take care of them, sell food stamps, don't work or provide for their children, etc. I have cared for these children on more than one occassion with serious illnesses (headlice, scabees, sever diper rashes, malnurished, etc.) for months at a time with no word from the parents. They do not visit, call, or support the children in any way, shape, or form. The parents have had DHS called on them in both OK and AR. They would shape up till the investigation was over, and then it would all start over again. I love these kids and want the best for them, even if that means that they go into foster care and I never see them again. But, I want to try and get custody of them both. How would I go about doing that? The parents are still legally married, but have been seperated for nearly a year. They try to use the children to hurt eachother, and hurt the children in the process. The father (22) is now ingaged and living with a young woman who he tells the kids to call "mama." The mother (19) is about 3 months pregnat with someonelses child, living with 2 widely know potheads; one is her boyfriend who can not have children and the other is a bisexual who can; in an old, small 2 bedroom mobile home with no job or transportation. I know for a fact that she does not bathe and has headlice. These children need help before it is too late, and DHS has done nothing to correct this problem. What Can I Do?!?!

LdiJ

rbklove said:
I live in Arkansas and I am the Godmoter of 2 small children. The boy is almost 3 and the girl is 18 months. Their parents do not take care of them, sell food stamps, don't work or provide for their children, etc. I have cared for these children on more than one occassion with serious illnesses (headlice, scabees, sever diper rashes, malnurished, etc.) for months at a time with no word from the parents. They do not visit, call, or support the children in any way, shape, or form. The parents have had DHS called on them in both OK and AR. They would shape up till the investigation was over, and then it would all start over again. I love these kids and want the best for them, even if that means that they go into foster care and I never see them again. But, I want to try and get custody of them both. How would I go about doing that? The parents are still legally married, but have been seperated for nearly a year. They try to use the children to hurt eachother, and hurt the children in the process. The father (22) is now ingaged and living with a young woman who he tells the kids to call "mama." The mother (19) is about 3 months pregnat with someonelses child, living with 2 widely know potheads; one is her boyfriend who can not have children and the other is a bisexual who can; in an old, small 2 bedroom mobile home with no job or transportation. I know for a fact that she does not bathe and has headlice. These children need help before it is too late, and DHS has done nothing to correct this problem. What Can I Do?!?!
Being a godparent doesn't give you a legal relationship to the children. Therefore honestly, you don't have standing to sue for custody. However please do get a consult with a local attorney to verify that.

Your best bet (for the children's sake) is to call DHS when the children are first put into your care with problems. That may at least get the children removed from the parents. However you could also check into getting yourself certified as a foster parent...that might give you some chance to get placement of the children if they are removed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">