• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How can i get custody?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mchisholm

My daughters are 6 years and 5 months. They currently live primarily with their mother and i get them every other weekend. Their mother is in a relationship that has been nothing but drama for my girls. He has moved in amd out of the house several times and she has admitted to me that he has hurt her physically several times. My daughters have witnessed her crying and screamig because of this man and she still lets him come around. I told her i didnt feel comfortable with him around my children if he has been abusive and she doesnt care "ill do what i want with my life" she works 3rd ahift amd leaves them with him when shea at work or with a friend when they are broken up fir a few days.we are in the process of a divorce but is not finalized. What do i need to do to get custody of my daughters where they can have a safe routine and spend their time with a parent and not going back and forth to different people?

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
My daughters are 6 years and 5 months. They currently live primarily with their mother and i get them every other weekend. Their mother is in a relationship that has been nothing but drama for my girls. He has moved in amd out of the house several times and she has admitted to me that he has hurt her physically several times. My daughters have witnessed her crying and screamig because of this man and she still lets him come around. I told her i didnt feel comfortable with him around my children if he has been abusive and she doesnt care "ill do what i want with my life" she works 3rd ahift amd leaves them with him when shea at work or with a friend when they are broken up fir a few days.we are in the process of a divorce but is not finalized. What do i need to do to get custody of my daughters where they can have a safe routine and spend their time with a parent and not going back and forth to different people?
First, you can tell us which US state you're located.

Then the fun part - answering questions!

How long have they lived with just Mom?

What are your goals? Do you work? If you work, who will be taking care of the baby?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
How long have you been separated? How far along is the divorce? Have you made agreements on custody that have been court ordered or not? Have you asked the court for custody? Why is this just coming up now? How long has she worked third shift?

t74

If your children are in danger, call the child services agency.

I hope your attorney (and you need one!!!) is aware of what you believe is occurring. Court orders can be structured to better protect children in situations involving potentially harmful love interests of the parents. You are going to be dealing with this for a long time so try to get it right the first time. Be sure you have an experienced, respected attorney representing you. This is not the time to shop for one based on price.

Mchisholm

First, you can tell us which US state you're located.

Then the fun part - answering questions!

How long have they lived with just Mom?

What are your goals? Do you work? If you work, who will be taking care of the baby?

Indiana

I moved out last late winter early spring they have lived with her first. She is bi polar so its been good then bad. She was pregnant when we filed so everythig was on standstill until my youngest was born. I agreed in court to pay all her bills until 3 months after the baby was born so shed be able to get back to work amd back on her feet and i lived up to my emd i now give her $100 a week bc our child support hasnt been ordered yet and i originally agreed to her having primary custody bc at the time i didnt live in a place hat had enough room for everyone i am moving into my own house this weekend and my goal is to have my girls primarily so they are safe amd have a routine. We have one more class to get throuvh but will have to go back to court it jist hasnt happened yet. I was just looking for advice on what i need to do on my emd to get custody i know judges a lot of times side with the mother... i do have a baby sitter set up while im at work

Mchisholm

How long have you been separated? How far along is the divorce? Have you made agreements on custody that have been court ordered or not? Have you asked the court for custody? Why is this just coming up now? How long has she worked third shift?

I moved out last late winter early spring they have lived with her first. She is bi polar so its been good then bad. She was pregnant when we filed so everythig was on standstill until my youngest was born. I agreed in court to pay all her bills until 3 months after the baby was born so shed be able to get back to work amd back on her feet and i lived up to my emd i now give her $100 a week bc our child support hasnt been ordered yet and i originally agreed to her having primary custody bc at the time i didnt live in a place hat had enough room for everyone i am moving into my own house this weekend and my goal is to have my girls primarily so they are safe amd have a routine. We have one more class to get throuvh but will have to go back to court it jist hasnt happened yet. I was just looking for advice on what i need to do on my emd to get custody i know judges a lot of times side with the mother... i do have a baby sitter set up while im at work

She has been working 3rd shift for a few months. She made no effort to find a job her sil got her a job so its not a matter of her "having" to work those hours shes jist too lazy to find her own job

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
The problem is that by allowing Mom to have them so far, you've told the court that she's a fit parent. But all is not lost so let's continue.

So coming up you have a court matter dealing with the initial custody determination, yes? In other words there are no court orders in place yet ... is that right?

Mom works 3rd shift and so needs a sitter while she's at work.

But you work full time and will also need a sitter while you're at work.

Right?

(And can you please try to use proper grammar and spelling? Some of us oldies have trouble deciphering text speak)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">