• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mediation Coach/Pleadings

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

coroandobbmom

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Just finished a Mediation Coaching session. The Coach said beacuse one of my son's is (17 1/2) wants to go live with his Dad that I am fighting a "uphill battle" my other son is 15, I stand a good chance with holding on to. We have 50/50 with both boys. My question is: I am trying to finish my "pleading" for my attorney. I have more than a few pages of situations that have occured with my 17 1/2 lately getting in trouble and why I feel he now wants to live with his father. Should I invest my time on this or is it really a waste of time if they just listen to what the teenager wants???

Silverplum

This thread below is where you were asked to stop posting new threads:

https://forum.freeadvice.com/child-custody-visitation-37/pleadings-524819.html

PLEASE stop starting new threads for each question.

Just finished a Mediation Coaching session. The Coach said beacuse one of my son's is (17 1/2) wants to go live with his Dad that I am fighting a "uphill battle" my other son is 15, I stand a good chance with holding on to. We have 50/50 with both boys. My question is: I am trying to finish my "pleading" for my attorney. I have more than a few pages of situations that have occured with my 17 1/2 lately getting in trouble and why I feel he now wants to live with his father. Should I invest my time on this or is it really a waste of time if they just listen to what the teenager wants???

coroandobbmom

I really don't understand what I am doing wrong? Could you give me directions on how to continue on a past thread from days before, is that what I am suppose to do? Sorry, I have never written in a forum, its new to me. Thanks

mistoffolees

It's a waste of time.

By the time the process is over, the older child will be nearly 18 and able to choose on his own. Not to mention that "he has gotten into trouble" isn't justification for you getting custody - unless you can prove with a preponderance of evidence that the father is the reason the boy has gotten into trouble.

You have 6 months left. If there's no change, that's 3 months with you and 3 with Dad. If he goes to live with Dad, you're still probably going to have close to 1 month custody. So you're going to fight over 2 months of his life which is likely to be 70 YEARS or so? (Actually, far less because it would take months to get a decision, anyway.

I don't know the people involved, but I would be willing to venture a guess that if you force sole custody on a kid who is 17 1/2 and where you already have 50:50, you run a very serious risk that the day he turns 18, he thumbs his nose at you and disappears from your life entirely.

Let it go.

coroandobbmom,

click on search header on the community tab above...

search your username enter the security key, and it shows you now have 4 open threads, it works just like the child custody & visitation page, click on a thread to open into it, click any reply button to add new info...

this can be much easier than keeping track of which page your thread is currently listed on

-TFM

LdiJ

It's a waste of time.

By the time the process is over, the older child will be nearly 18 and able to choose on his own. Not to mention that "he has gotten into trouble" isn't justification for you getting custody - unless you can prove with a preponderance of evidence that the father is the reason the boy has gotten into trouble.

You have 6 months left. If there's no change, that's 3 months with you and 3 with Dad. If he goes to live with Dad, you're still probably going to have close to 1 month custody. So you're going to fight over 2 months of his life which is likely to be 70 YEARS or so? (Actually, far less because it would take months to get a decision, anyway.

I don't know the people involved, but I would be willing to venture a guess that if you force sole custody on a kid who is 17 1/2 and where you already have 50:50, you run a very serious risk that the day he turns 18, he thumbs his nose at you and disappears from your life entirely.

Let it go.
Misto...she is trying to KEEP custody. Its dad that is trying to change it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">