+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    5

    Modification to SC order but me and CP live in different states now

    What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? South Carolina

    I have a SC divorce order with very limited visitation. I now live in NC and my ex and kids live in GA. My ex is not wanting to allow extended visitation and I need to take her to court. Can I request a modification of visitation in SC? Or does it have to be in the state that the kids live in?

    Thank you so much!

    Michael


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    guess ;)
    Posts
    30,519
    Quote Originally Posted by jma28104 View Post
    What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? South Carolina

    I have a SC divorce order with very limited visitation. I now live in NC and my ex and kids live in GA. My ex is not wanting to allow extended visitation and I need to take her to court. Can I request a modification of visitation in SC? Or does it have to be in the state that the kids live in?

    Thank you so much!

    Michael
    What is the reason you were given very limited visitation in the CO?


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,580
    Quote Originally Posted by susanmaldea View Post
    What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? South Carolina

    I have a 2013 SC divorce order with very limited visitation. I now live in NC and my ex and kids live in GA. My ex is not wanting to allow extended visitation and I need to take her to court pro se since I can't afford a lawyer. My question is can I request a modification of visitation in SC? Or does it have to be in the state that the kids live in?
    First of all given the circumstances there is no chance that North Carolina court would have jurisdiction to modify any domestic orders out of South Carolina.

    The issue is whether South Carolina or Georgia would be the appropriate forum. If they have lived in Georgia for the past 6 months, then in accordance with the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act (UCCJEA) Georgia would the children's "home state" and its courts would have jurisdiction to modify the South Carolina orders. But please note that I advisedly have written "would have jurisdiction", which is not be taken that a Georgia domestic court would necessarily assume jurisdiction. The doctrine of "forum non convenience" * still lingers on in spite of the uniform act.

    Lastly, you need to be aware that attempting to obtain a modification of the South Carolina order would be a difficult task for a layperson even if you could litigate it in South Carolina. Dealing with the UCCJEA and some often difficult Georgia judges ain't going to be a walk in the park! And a make that last remark about Georgia judges with considerable personal experience. Maybe it is just because I am a Yankee, but some have given me a so called "city slicker" a hard time.
    __________________

    [*] "A court's discretionary power to decline to exercise its jurisdiction where another court may more conveniently hear a case."


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    58,345
    Quote Originally Posted by latigo View Post
    First of all given the circumstances there is no chance that North Carolina court would have jurisdiction to modify any domestic orders out of South Carolina.

    The issue is whether South Carolina or Georgia would be the appropriate forum. If they have lived in Georgia for the past 6 months, then in accordance with the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act (UCCJEA) Georgia would the children's "home state" and its courts would have jurisdiction to modify the South Carolina orders. But please note that I advisedly have written "would have jurisdiction", which is not be taken that a Georgia domestic court would necessarily assume jurisdiction. The doctrine of "forum non convenience" * still lingers on in spite of the uniform act.

    Lastly, you need to be aware that attempting to obtain a modification of the South Carolina order would be a difficult task for a layperson even if you could litigate it in South Carolina. Dealing with the UCCJEA and some often difficult Georgia judges ain't going to be a walk in the park! And a make that last remark about Georgia judges with considerable personal experience. Maybe it is just because I am a Yankee, but some have given me a so called "city slicker" a hard time.
    __________________

    [*] "A court's discretionary power to decline to exercise its jurisdiction where another court may more conveniently hear a case."
    But SC would have discretion unless the case had ALREADY been transferred to GA.


    Last edited by Ohiogal; 12-24-2017 at 10:00 AM.
    Parents should remember 3 things: Love your kids more than you hate your ex; when you have children the relationship with the other parent is until death; your children determine what type of nursing home you end up in.
    Nothing stated by me should be taken as giving you legal advice or forming an attorney/client relationship.

    Attorney-GAL in Ohio.

    I've removed the knife from my back, polished it, and will one day return it -- long after you think I have forgotten.
  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    5
    It has not been transferred to GA. So if I file these papers in SC to request a hearing for a modification of child support and visitation, could her lawyer respond with refusal for her to attend the hearing? If so, what grounds would she have to not attend the hearing in SC?

    PS - I added the part about child support so I may need to go to a different forum for that subject.


    Last edited by jma28104; 01-10-2018 at 05:18 PM.
  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    58,345
    Quote Originally Posted by LdiJ View Post
    If you filed in SC its likely that her attorney would file the necessary paperwork to get it moved to GA. Therefore, its likely easier to just file it in GA.
    You are wrong. The modification would be filed in SC. A court is not going to necessarily transfer an OPEN case with motions pending. Likely easier? You have no clue what you are talking about. You can't just decide you are changing jurisdiction and file it in GA because "easier" -- whatever that means.


    Parents should remember 3 things: Love your kids more than you hate your ex; when you have children the relationship with the other parent is until death; your children determine what type of nursing home you end up in.
    Nothing stated by me should be taken as giving you legal advice or forming an attorney/client relationship.

    Attorney-GAL in Ohio.

    I've removed the knife from my back, polished it, and will one day return it -- long after you think I have forgotten.
  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    5
    Thanks Ohiogal. That's what I figured too. That it would be difficult for her attorney to transfer an open case with motions pending. So would her attorney have a leg to stand on as far as "throwing out" a hearing to modify child support in SC because she lives in GA with our children?


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    71,289
    Quote Originally Posted by jma28104 View Post
    Thanks Ohiogal. That's what I figured too. That it would be difficult for her attorney to transfer an open case with motions pending. So would her attorney have a leg to stand on as far as "throwing out" a hearing to modify child support in SC because she lives in GA with our children?
    The attorney can request that the court allow the case to be transferred to GA. Since neither of you have ties to SC, it's entirely possible that the requested transfer will be approved.


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    5
    Ok thanks. One last question... if a judge decided to transfer the case to GA per the request of my ex wife's attorney, would I have to re-file a modification request with the GA courts? Basically how does that process look? Does the SC judge issue some sort of motion to allow the case to be transferred and then I turn around and file that motion along with a motion to modify child support with GA courts? Thanks for your help with this!!


    Last edited by jma28104; 01-11-2018 at 01:56 PM.
  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    58,345
    Quote Originally Posted by LdiJ View Post
    The SC judge would dismiss the case for lack of jurisdiction and you would have to refile in GA. That is why I personally think that you should just file in GA. You won't risk wasting time or money duking out whether SC will retain jurisdiction and get right down to handling your actual motions for modifications. At least get a consult with an attorney in GA.
    That is NOT how this works. The SC judge has jurisdiction until the case is transferred. IF it would be transferred with OPEN motions, it would not be dismissed but rather transferred. YOU HAVE NO CLUE ABOUT WHICH YOU ARE SPEAKING. Please learn some law. This is about UCCJEA. It is how things work. Get a clue. QUIT posting on family law threads when you have nothing TRUTHFUL AND CORRECT to offer.


    Parents should remember 3 things: Love your kids more than you hate your ex; when you have children the relationship with the other parent is until death; your children determine what type of nursing home you end up in.
    Nothing stated by me should be taken as giving you legal advice or forming an attorney/client relationship.

    Attorney-GAL in Ohio.

    I've removed the knife from my back, polished it, and will one day return it -- long after you think I have forgotten.
  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    58,345
    Quote Originally Posted by Zigner View Post
    The attorney can request that the court allow the case to be transferred to GA. Since neither of you have ties to SC, it's entirely possible that the requested transfer will be approved.
    Most likely NOT while open motions are pending. MOM could have filed to have the case moved PRIOR to OP filing a motion to modify. Therefore, most likely it will hear the case in SC and then finally hear a motion to transfer IF ONE IS FILED.
    LD is so wrong with everything she has posted on this thread. OP can NOT file in GA unless the case has already been transferred there. I really wish she would quit posting her IRRESPONSIBLE HARMFUL FAKE NEWS as though it is fact. And yes, LD I am going to report every post you do in which something is incorrect! Got it? YOU know VERY LITTLE about the law. QUIT acting as though you are an expert. Learn some humility. AND ADMIT WHEN YOU ARE WRONG. Because I have had it.


    Parents should remember 3 things: Love your kids more than you hate your ex; when you have children the relationship with the other parent is until death; your children determine what type of nursing home you end up in.
    Nothing stated by me should be taken as giving you legal advice or forming an attorney/client relationship.

    Attorney-GAL in Ohio.

    I've removed the knife from my back, polished it, and will one day return it -- long after you think I have forgotten.
  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    48,286
    I guess I just went with personal experience (different states, however). Will sit on my fingers. For now.


  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    58,345
    Quote Originally Posted by stealth2 View Post
    I guess I just went with personal experience (different states, however). Will sit on my fingers. For now.
    None of this was aimed at you. It was aimed at LD who keeps posting stuff and whose posts were reported by me because they were dangerously incorrect, wrong and not with any law. You, I and most of the seniors accept when we are wrong and strive to correct ourselves or admit our errors. LD hasn't and she has gotten more "incorrect" if that is possible lately. She has taken to telling Quincy and others to pound sand when they are right and she doesn't want to back anything up.


    Parents should remember 3 things: Love your kids more than you hate your ex; when you have children the relationship with the other parent is until death; your children determine what type of nursing home you end up in.
    Nothing stated by me should be taken as giving you legal advice or forming an attorney/client relationship.

    Attorney-GAL in Ohio.

    I've removed the knife from my back, polished it, and will one day return it -- long after you think I have forgotten.
+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-08-2016, 02:40 PM
  2. Can My EX-GF get a restraining order against ME (if we live in different states)?
    By lewisweed in forum Marriage, Domestic Partnerships and Other Family Law Matters
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-27-2013, 09:52 AM
  3. Live in Different States
    By melba1 in forum Child Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-16-2006, 07:41 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

© Since 1995 Advice Company, All Rights Reserved

FreeAdvice® has been providing millions of consumers with outstanding advice, free, since 1995. While not a substitute for personal advice from a licensed professional, it is available AS IS, subject to our Disclaimer and Terms & Conditions Of Use.