• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mother didn't show for the Settlement Conference

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GolfingDad

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

Will try to keep this as short as possible, I am the father, have had my daughter 90% of the time for 4 years, she is almost 6 now and just started kindergarten. Mother lives an hour away in a different school zone.

After two dui's in three months by her mom, and some other issues I opened a modification case to get some safety precautions and other things added to the agreement.

We had a PL hearing in April, at the hearing it was ruled she can not transport my daughter and that her grandparents have to do all transportation, as well as ordered and alcohol evaluation.

On August 11th we had a settlement conference, in which she didn't show up to, stating one of her other children were in the hospital (she has falsely used this excuse before). At the conference the magistrate ordered she has 10 days to show proof of hospital visit.

Three things, final trial is 10/6 so three weeks away.

1) She never showed proof hospital visit
2) She hasn't done the alcohol evaluation
3) Discovery was due on June 10th, she hasn't turned anything in.

We (my lawyer and I) have filed motions to compel, and various other line items, and it seems the court are dragging their feet in ruling on enforcing the motions to compel.

My question is, you get the lawyer answer when I ask my lawyer that you just don't know but I like at least knowing an idea of things, but say she doesn't do any of the above things by 10/6, what punishments could the court in force?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Will try to keep this as short as possible, I am the father, have had my daughter 90% of the time for 4 years, she is almost 6 now and just started kindergarten. Mother lives an hour away in a different school zone.

After two dui's in three months by her mom, and some other issues I opened a modification case to get some safety precautions and other things added to the agreement.

We had a PL hearing in April, at the hearing it was ruled she can not transport my daughter and that her grandparents have to do all transportation, as well as ordered and alcohol evaluation.

On August 11th we had a settlement conference, in which she didn't show up to, stating one of her other children were in the hospital (she has falsely used this excuse before). At the conference the magistrate ordered she has 10 days to show proof of hospital visit.

We (my lawyer and I) have filed motions to compel, and various other line items, and it seems the court are dragging their feet in ruling on enforcing the motions to compel.

My question is, you get the lawyer answer when I ask my lawyer that you just don't know but I like at least knowing an idea of things, but say she doesn't do any of the above things by 10/6, what punishments could the court in force?
She could lose custody. What else do you want?

GolfingDad

While that's true, it might be better worded as: "You could get everything you are seeking in these proceedings."

Thanks for your reply, I wasn't asking it as I want all custody and her to get punished. I want my daughter to have a relationship with her mom, I just want it to be a safe relationship with added precautions to protect her put in place.

I was more so thinking along the lines of the trial what would she lose, wasn't thinking they would just award me custody, but that's good to know.

I have 90% primary custody and have tie breaking legal currently.

I was just wondering, for the trial, IE: pay my attorney's fee's, not be able to present evidence, or things along those lines but thank you for the answer.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
Thanks for your reply, I wasn't asking it as I want all custody and her to get punished. I want my daughter to have a relationship with her mom, I just want it to be a safe relationship with added precautions to protect her put in place.

I was more so thinking along the lines of the trial what would she lose, wasn't thinking they would just award me custody, but that's good to know.

I have 90% primary custody and have tie breaking legal currently.

I was just wondering, for the trial, IE: pay my attorney's fee's, not be able to present evidence, or things along those lines but thank you for the answer.
The point is that you must ask the court to do A, B or C - you can't just go and file a motion for contempt and not ask for what you'd like to happen as a result.

Why ISN'T your attorney answering your question?

GolfingDad

The point is that you must ask the court to do A, B or C - you can't just go and file a motion for contempt and not ask for what you'd like to happen as a result.

Why ISN'T your attorney answering your question?
My attorney is great, maybe I am in the wrong spot, I thought I was asking more of a question that others would share their experiences. My lawyer gives lawyers answers, this should happen but you never know in court type stuff.

I have asked for A, B and C etc. IE: a Blow and Go if driving my daughter, changing weekend visits from Thursday at 5 to sunday at 5 to friday at 5 to sunday at 5 because my daughter missed school on 75% of the fridays she was responsible for. Stuff along those lines.

latigo

I don't know what you have in mind with your use of the word "punishment", but if on the hearing date the status remains as it is I would ask the court to suspend all existing orders giving her access to the child until she is in compliance with the order to compel; with reasonable access appropriately supervised.

In non-domestic cases the failure to comply with discovery orders can result in striking the offending party's pleading and when the relief sought by the proponent is proper it can be summarily granted. But this is not necessarily true where the primary focus is in neither awarding or punishing a parent but to serve the best interests of the children.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
My attorney is great, maybe I am in the wrong spot, I thought I was asking more of a question that others would share their experiences. My lawyer gives lawyers answers, this should happen but you never know in court type stuff.
This is really not that type of forum, sorry.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">