• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ohio Medical Marijuana patient living in Ohio with a custody case in NC

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ohioguy419

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio but case is in North Carolina

I am a resident of Ohio and have an upcoming case in North Carolina pertaining to placement for my daughter who was removed from her mother's care for neglect, unsafe living conditions, substance abuse and failure to see professional help for her mental disorders. This is the second time in 5 years our daughter has been taken from her home in 5 years for these same reasons. Social services has expressed that in 5 months they have exhausted all options with her and are looking for other placement for her. That being said I am being considered. However, I am a medical marijuana patient in Ohio under Ohio House bill 523. Would I have any reason to feel a positive THC result will have negative impacts on my chances for placement?

FlyingRon

You betcha it can have an impact. As far as NC goes, you are taking an intoxicating, illegal drug. It can be counted against you no matter what the Ohio laws say.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio but case is in North Carolina

I am a resident of Ohio and have an upcoming case in North Carolina pertaining to placement for my daughter who was removed from her mother's care for neglect, unsafe living conditions, substance abuse and failure to see professional help for her mental disorders. This is the second time in 5 years our daughter has been taken from her home in 5 years for these same reasons. Social services has expressed that in 5 months they have exhausted all options with her and are looking for other placement for her. That being said I am being considered. However, I am a medical marijuana patient in Ohio under Ohio House bill 523. Would I have any reason to feel a positive THC result will have negative impacts on my chances for placement?
So from whom are you buying the medical marijuana as there are no dispensaries set up AND you cannot buy just marijuana. So where you getting the vapor? Answer those very important questions.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
So from whom are you buying the medical marijuana as there are no dispensaries set up AND you cannot buy just marijuana. So where you getting the vapor? Answer those very important questions.
None in the majority of the state. I found two state wide and even those are questionable.

justalayman

From what I have found the marijuana program in Ohio is not even fully implemented yet. I find absolutely no dispenssries yet. The government website states it will be active by September 2018. That's over a year away.

That means if op is using marijuana, he isn't using it legally

A bigger question; if this is the father, why hasn't he been awarded custody of the child yet given she was taken from the mother? I think there are bigger problems that his dope use

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
From what I have found the marijuana program in Ohio is not even fully implemented yet. I find absolutely no dispenssries yet. The government website states it will be active by September 2018. That's over a year away.

That means if op is using marijuana, he isn't using it legally

A bigger question; if this is the father, why hasn't he been awarded custody of the child yet given she was taken from the mother? I think there are bigger problems that his dope use
I found two that mention they are dispensaries but I agree with you. The two "dispensaries" are located in Columbus and Mansfield. I highly doubt they have marijuana vapor however. So yeah... no medical marijuana here. HOWEVER the courts have stated that marijuana is not a big deal here. What they say in NC is what matters though.

FlyingRon

But it matters not if he is using it legally or not.

First off, it's not legal in NC. The full faith and credit clause doesn't apply in this situation.

Second, even if it were 100% legal anywhere, it could still be used against him. Not because it's criminal, but because it is an impairing drug.

justalayman

I found two that mention they are dispensaries but I agree with you. The two "dispensaries" are located in Columbus and Mansfield. I highly doubt they have marijuana vapor however. So yeah... no medical marijuana here. HOWEVER the courts have stated that marijuana is not a big deal here. What they say in NC is what matters though.
Given dispensaries are under license by the state board of pharmacy, once the 60 dispensaries are licensed I suspect it will be a simple search through the state to find them. From what I can see the rules haven't even been fully developed yet. I cannot find an application to open a dispensary on any state website currently.

IrishAlexis

Depending on what you use medical marijuana for and what product exactly you use could impact how it is viewed.

NC law allows the use of CBD oil for epilepsy and very select other conditions. They allow this because it offers many of the medical benefits without giving the "high" of marijuana.

justalayman

Depending on what you use medical marijuana for and what product exactly you use could impact how it is viewed.

NC law allows the use of CBD oil for epilepsy and very select other conditions. They allow this because it offers many of the medical benefits without giving the "high" of marijuana.
That doesn't alter the fact that there is no system in place that allows an Ohio resident to use marijuana products as of yet so that means he would be breaking the law in Ohio.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">