• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please advise

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gary Chalfant

I live in Louisiana. I have 2 children, ages 7 and 5. They have allergies but are on medicine for it. I am with a woman who has dogs. I get the boys every other weekend and give her child support every month. We haventg been to court or anything yet as far as custody or support. Can she keep my kids away from me because of the pet allergies even though they are on allergy medicine?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I live in Louisiana. I have 2 children, ages 7 and 5. They have allergies but are on medicine for it. I am with a woman who has dogs. I get the boys every other weekend and give her child support every month. We haventg been to court or anything yet as far as custody or support. Can she keep my kids away from me because of the pet allergies even though they are on allergy medicine?
It might make things tougher. I have to ask, though...why would you even consider taking your kids in to close proximity of a known allergen when you can avoid it? Doesn't THEIR comfort and health mean anything?

Just Blue

Get rid of the dogs and then have the house professionally cleaned. Problem solved.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Get rid of the dogs and then have the house professionally cleaned. Problem solved.
I'd find a new g/f, to be honest. Though, I must say, if a SO even intimated I should get rid of my pets, he'd be out the door so fast, the door wouldn't have time to hit him.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
I'd find a new g/f, to be honest. Though, I must say, if a SO even intimated I should get rid of my pets, he'd be out the door so fast, the door wouldn't have time to hit him.
But you're also thoughtful enough that if you got involved with someone whose kids had allergies to your pets, you'd insist that they put the needs of their children first.

LdiJ

But you're also thoughtful enough that if you got involved with someone whose kids had allergies to your pets, you'd insist that they put the needs of their children first.
I agree with you and with everyone else who has responded wholeheartedly.

However, in this parent's defense, I do believe that he honestly thought that the allergy medication simply made the problem go away. I would suggest that he make an appointment with the children's doctor to get a better understanding of his children's medical issues and the purpose of allergy medication.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
To answer you *legal* question: in the absence of court orders, Mom doesn't have to offer any visitation. She is not violating a court order by keeping the kids away from you.

Of course, should she choose to not let the kids visit you, you can go to court and petition for joint custody and whatever parenting plan (custody/visitation) you think would best serve your children.

She in turn can petition for a formal child support order, based on state guidelines and your income.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">