• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please explain "dormancy/revival renewal"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gypsygirl

What is the name of your state? NY

I saw somwone post a site and saw this about NY:

E. Statute of Limitations

E1. What is your State?s statute of limitations for collection of
past due support?
20 years from date of default in payment regardless of whether or not the past due has been reduced to a judgment for support orders entered after 8/7/87; 6 years for default in payment on orders entered on or before 8/7/87; 20 years for all defaults in payment which have been granted as a money judgment.

E3. Is dormancy revival/renewal possible?
No

So, if I had an order orignelly from 78, then a modification order in 92, and he owes me arrears, can I still take action to collect?

What do they mean by dormancy revival?

My kIds were emansipated before 12/31/97. We never left NY.

I'm so confused by all this.

C

coosi

Was there ever a judgement regarding arrears? In other words, did a judge ever issue an order stating the dollar amount of arrears owed?

B

Boxcarbill

Gypsygirl said:
What is the name of your state? NY

I saw somwone post a site and saw this about NY:

E. Statute of Limitations

E1. What is your State?s statute of limitations for collection of
past due support?
20 years from date of default in payment regardless of whether or not the past due has been reduced to a judgment for support orders entered after 8/7/87; 6 years for default in payment on orders entered on or before 8/7/87; 20 years for all defaults in payment which have been granted as a money judgment.
. . . .

Let see if I can help. Let's assume that there were arrears owed in the order which was entered on or before 8/7/87--i.e. the 1978 order. Any arrears which occurred between the 1978 order and the 1992 modification order would have to be pursued within six years of the default in payment or they are waived. If, however, you reduced those arrears to judgment, then you can collect on that money judgment for 20 years. (If there were arrears owed within 6 years of the '92 order, those arrears were or should have been reduced to judgment in the '92 modification order which means that you can collect those for twenty years). Any additional arrears which occurred in an order entered after Aug 7, 1987--i.e. after the modification in 92--regardless of whether or not those arrears were reduced to judgment--can be pursued for 20 years. Hope this help your understanding.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">