• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

PLEASE HELP , my father abandoned me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

IHMJack0

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TEXAS

my father NEVER supported me financially since I was born , I moved from Taiwan to USA when I was 8 age with my mom ,
and I mom raised me but my father NEVER sent any money to help for our living expenses. Im 37 age now , during my time in USA , my father had another girlfriend in Taiwan and they have 2 kids WITHOUT
never filing a divorce with my mom even till today . my dad is now 76 age with many serious health problem including cancer and the average life span for men in Taiwan is 77
, Based what he is telling me about his health situation , Im worried that he may not even have 1 or 2 years left to stay alive .

Ok well here is the BIG PROBLEM , my mom told me that my dad probably sold ALL his assets ( cash , bank balance , stocks funds , real estate , etc. , etc. ) and maybe GIFT it all to not sure who
, maybe spread across ( his girlfriend , and their children on their end ) I assuming my dad did this because he knows he will pass away very soon and he want to give 100 percent of his wealth to
his girlfriend and their children INSTEAD of my side of the family , Im extremely worried because its a HUGE estimated amount, I say estimated over 1 million dollars in total asset value the past 30 years
plus after he passes away , and very sadly he is leaving me and my side of the family (me , my mom , my brothers ) ZERO DOLLARS , all 100 percent is going to them, and we all have tried to ask our dad to
pay us some financial responsibility , HE REFUSED. my dad is an very non responsible person Sadly when he passes away he can NOT bring his money to heaven
, and 100 percent of estimated over 1 million dollars in assets is ALL going to their end , and ZERO for us.

There are also many stories in the past , that my dad also sold my moms real estates and NEVER gived my mom a single penny for it ,

thats why Im extremely upset right now and would like to ask , If there is ANY LEGAL ACTION ANYONE ME AND MY FAMILY CAN TAKE about this issue to recover any amount of money and asset possible?
divorce? child support? alienation? child abandoned? legal WILL?? ANYTHING WE CAN SUE FOR? we do not understand the law and what we CAN sue about this issue , will it be too late after my dad passes away??
Is it possible for me to sue under my moms name and on her behalf?

Advices and help would be very thankful!

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Your Mom would need to find out the laws in Taiwan, since that is where Dad/his assets are. Your Mom could have divorced him and gotten "her" portion long ago.

HRZ

Laymans guess.
You have approximately zero options under TX law now ...whatever options exist are those under any relevant law in Taiwan .

It is ultra late for Mom to act , too late by decades for any child support action n TX. There is an
Ultra small unlikely window to work that Mom and I presume Mom was married to Dad , could takes the steps to get a divorce from dad and a property division as part of TX order and then domesticate that order in Taiwan , if such works there and Dad has not already dissipated everything . MOm would need to review if any such options are practical with an attorney skilled at international divorce matters, ideally one with skills relevant to Taiwan ...such might exist in a major metro area with a major Chinese population .

AS above, whatever rights Mom would have as his widow to inherit are those under laws of Taiwan

Whether Mom has any options to divorce dad under laws of Taiwan and get a property settlement need to be directed to an attorney skilled at such international questions re Taiwan .

Mom should have addressed these legal matters about 29 years ago ....

IHMJack0

thanks to everyone for replying!

If my dad already GIFTED all his wealth and assets to his girlfriend , even if my mom try to divorce or sue or whatever legal action , will she be able to get any money back at all considering dad GIFTED away everything?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member

If my dad already gifted all his wealth and assets to his girlfriend , even if my mom try to divorce or sue or whatever legal action , will she be able to get any money back at all considering dad gifted away everything?
what does taiwanese law say???

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl

If my dad already GIFTED all his wealth and assets to his girlfriend , even if my mom try to divorce or sue or whatever legal action , will she be able to get any money back at all considering dad GIFTED away everything?
That depends entirely upon what Taiwanese laws say.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
But it's NOT based on US laws. US laws are completely irrelevant here. You might as well ask what would happen under Icelandic law - it would have as much relevance as US law.

justalayman

what will it be? Assuming if its based on USA laws? thanks
We have 50 states. Just which state’s law would you suggest be applied to your Taiwanese situation?

You’re just not getting it; it wouldn’t matter what state’s laws were applied because US law has no bearing on what happens in Taiwan.

IHMJack0

thank you for everyone that replied! Yes my dad is in Taiwan and it will probably be based on Taiwanese law , but most of you guy here probably only understand USA law , so it will be I guess some what of a reference to general law so if you guys could tell me what would the law be ASSUMING it was in the USA , i guess its more helpful than hearing " I do not know anything about Taiwan laws ", thank you!

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
thank you for everyone that replied! Yes my dad is in Taiwan and it will probably be based on Taiwanese law , but most of you guy here probably only understand USA law , so it will be I guess some what of a reference to general law so if you guys could tell me what would the law be ASSUMING it was in the USA , i guess its more helpful than hearing " I do not know anything about Taiwan laws ", thank you!
No. No, no, no and no. There is NO "general law". US LAW DOES NOT APPLY!!! Your father is under the jurisdiction of Taiwan! THAT is the only law that matters. You have been told the same on two different legal forums.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
As you have been repeatedly told, there is no "probably" about it. It is DEFINITELY under Taiwanese law and US law is of no more relevance than Nepali law or Argentinian law or Macedonian law. The ONLY law that has any relevance is Taiwanese law. And there is NO SUCH THING as "general law".

However, since it is clear that you are not going to go away until someone answers your irrelevant question, under no US law in any US state are you entitled to a single penny of your dad's estate unless he chooses to give it to you. Particularly not if he has already gifted it to someone else.

So take your greedy little self off.

justalayman

I believe this is an exact quote of what you posted on another forum where you were given the same types of responses. You were told there as well as here; no US law would be of benefit to suggesting you have any avenues to pursue. You are trying to lay a different country’s laws on a situation is Taiwan. It is worthless to try to do that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">