• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about family counselor and family court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

double

I live in the state of Kentucky. I gave my ex-husband physical custody of my 16 year old daughter because she wanted to live with him. Since then, she has not wanted to see me and my ex-husband has called social services on me which was unwarranted. Social services dismissed the case. Now my ex-husband has a lawyer who is saying that if I take my ex-husband to court then he will be calling in a prior counselor that my daughter and I saw together. This counselor will say I am crazy. I believe that this counselor, who has a Ph.D., will damage my image in front of a judge. My question: Is there a time limit that a counselor's opinion is relevant?
Thank you.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I live in the state of Kentucky. I gave my ex-husband physical custody of my 16 year old daughter because she wanted to live with him. Since then, she has not wanted to see me and my ex-husband has called social services on me which was unwarranted. Social services dismissed the case. Now my ex-husband has a lawyer who is saying that if I take my ex-husband to court then he will be calling in a prior counselor that my daughter and I saw together. This counselor will say I am crazy. I believe that this counselor, who has a Ph.D., will damage my image in front of a judge. My question: Is there a time limit that a counselor's opinion is relevant?
Thank you.
Is this 16 year old, YOUR daughter (alone) or HIS daughter as well? Why do you want to take your ex to court? The prior counselor's opinion may or may not be relevant. Depends on when she was seen and what she knows. She may however NOT be able to testify at all. In addition why did you and your daughter see this counselor together? What was the purpose of this joint counseling --was it court ordered?

Antigone*

Thank you.

So did you behave poorly when it came to how you interacted with your daughter? What have you done to change? You really can't worry about what someone is going to say. You can only address the comments after they are said.

double

Is this 16 year old, YOUR daughter (alone) or HIS daughter as well? Why do you want to take your ex to court? The prior counselor's opinion may or may not be relevant. Depends on when she was seen and what she knows. She may however NOT be able to testify at all. In addition why did you and your daughter see this counselor together? What was the purpose of this joint counseling --was it court ordered?
Yes, this is our daughter.
I would really like a relationship with my daughter and all I get is texting. In order to see her I would have to go to court according to his lawyer.
Our daughter was seen with the counselor before I signed saying she could live with her dad.
We saw the counselor together because her brother who is over 18 was causing issues for our relationship plus her dad was not helping the situation and was very unkind verbally to me.
The counseling was not court ordered.

double

Well.... is there reason for her to say this?

And why does your daughter not want to see you? What is going on in this relationship?
I believe my daughter is being influenced by her Dad but I can not prove it.

My daughter is closed up and stays in her room a lot. I do get text messages occasionally. She says she eats pizza a lot and sometimes she doesn't like to. I offer to take her to dinner but when she asks her dad he says no.

LdiJ

Yes, this is our daughter.
I would really like a relationship with my daughter and all I get is texting. In order to see her I would have to go to court according to his lawyer.
Our daughter was seen with the counselor before I signed saying she could live with her dad.
We saw the counselor together because her brother who is over 18 was causing issues for our relationship plus her dad was not helping the situation and was very unkind verbally to me.
The counseling was not court ordered.
Then why do you think that the counselor will call you crazy? Why are you believing his attorney?

double

Well.... is there reason for her to say this?
I am really not sure. I would like to send a letter to request the notes from the sessions but I am afraid to upset the counselor.

I would like to get as far away from this counselor as possible. I have heard that there is a time limit to where the counselor's opinion is valid. I don't know if this is true or not and I can't find the information on-line.

LdiJ

I am really not sure. I would like to send a letter to request the notes from the sessions but I am afraid to upset the counselor.

I would like to get as far away from this counselor as possible. I have heard that there is a time limit to where the counselor's opinion is valid. I don't know if this is true or not and I can't find the information on-line.
You are being really vague. Therefore its difficult to advise you. Either there is something to what the lawyer is saying, or the lawyer is flat out lying to you. I suspect that the lawyer is flat out lying to you, but I cannot be sure because you are being so vague.

double

So did you behave poorly when it came to how you interacted with your daughter? What have you done to change? You really can't worry about what someone is going to say. You can only address the comments after they are said.
Well, it is forbidden to say anything bad about the dad in front of the child and I did say something once and the counselor dismissed me from the room. I did not know I was not suppose to say anything but I learned, it was too late. However, I took the divorce parenting class since then and I realized what I did wrong. It happened so quickly and I believe even if I had phrased my opinion better the counselor would of still been uptight. It was as if the counselor was looking for a mistake. I think I can be too honest.

I have also taken a parenting class that is given by the court for parents who have poor parenting skills. I passed and I am glad I took it even though I was never asked to do so.

I am a 4.0 student at the university and I was an electrician in the US Navy so I am not a bad person as far as I can tell. I would help my daughter with her math if I could have to opportunity like I do with the other student at the university because I am a math major.

I like what you said, "You really can't worry about what someone is going to say. You can only address the comments after they are said." Thank you.

I would be nervous going to court because my ex-husband's lawyer is very good and has a reputation of being aggressive.

double

Then why do you think that the counselor will call you crazy? Why are you believing his attorney?
My ex-husband has money and has always had his way.
For some reason my ex-husband has a way of convincing others of his opinion.
A close friend told me that she wouldn't be surprised if my husband paid the counselor.
I believe his attorney because I have no way to disprove him.

double

You are being really vague. Therefore its difficult to advise you. Either there is something to what the lawyer is saying, or the lawyer is flat out lying to you. I suspect that the lawyer is flat out lying to you, but I cannot be sure because you are being so vague.
Your right I don't know what's going on. Something doesn't add up and I am trying to figure it.

I am too nice to think a lawyer would lie. I'm learning.

Thank you.
This isn't necessarily legal advice but what do you have to lose? If you do nothing, nothing will change. Court will at least give you a chance to change things. Seems like an easy decision to me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">