• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Questions for my state?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MARL745

What is the name of your state? GA

I've already posted a few weeks back and have some additional questions.
Quick background...Child due in March. Not married and no longer together. Found out I am having a boy!!!!(YIPPIE, DO THE HAPPY DANCE). I would like custody of my son.

For personal reasons(I know personal reasons have nothing to do with legal) I just think men should raise men. I dont think his mother would be a bad mother per se. As far as financially,mentally, and morally I feel I would better provide for him. I bought a house, and have a new job which pays me well. She doesnt know where she is going to live once he is born due to financial reasons and her lease ending around that same time, possibly with her sister who already has her family(3 kids and husband plus their mother) living in the household. By morally I mean this...I mention to her I will not tolerate C's, and possibly B's depending on the course work, on his report cards, and she made a statement that C's are okay and D's arent that bad if its a hard class...your kidding right??? I definitely want to have my child in my care.

It seems as if men dont get physical custody granted unless the children are being abused, or harmed in some way. Are my chances any good if these things are not taking place?

Does anyone have a link to GA child custody laws. Also any additional link to GA laws on child support would be helpful. Ive done some reading on both topics and have obtained some knowledge on my own, but any additional information would be helpful.

Also, Ive been informed of the routine. So to save time, skip advice on what I've already been told.. 1)Establish paternity 2)Establish custody and visitation/child support...(a recurring theme amongst these posts I see) Gracias very much!:D

Last edited:

CJane

Well, the problem that you have in trying to get custody of an infant in an unmarried situation is that Mom will already HAVE custody once the child is born.

See, when people are married, they are presumed to have joint custody until a judge determines differently. But when they're not (with the exception of CT), Mom is the only parent the child has.

So you're not looking at 'just' getting custody. You're looking at changing custody. And so, in order to get custody of the child, you'll have to prove Mom unfit. And her saying NOW, while the child is still essentially a parasite inside of her, that D's are ok in a 'hard class' just ain't gonna do it. And neither, for the record, is mutual penii.

LdiJ

Nor is there any advantage to you that you have your own home, and she may choose to live with family.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">