• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Taking a child out of the country for vacation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pls5286

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?GA

My husband and I are planning on taking a cruise with our children. I have sole custody of my son, but I have joint legal custody, I have physical custody of my daughter, who is 9, my husband has joint custody of his son, 13. Due to recent behavior by my ex husband, I had to go through the courts and have his visitation suspended due to drinking and driving with my daughter in the car and doing other activities that were putting my daughters health and well being at risk, not to mention that my daughter is scared of her father right now.

My kids both have a passport, but my question is do I still need to get a letter from him stating that it is ok for me to take her out of the country. Due to him being very angry at me right now, I believe it will be difficult to get this from him.

If I need this letter, what would be other options to getting this?

Thank you for your help!

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?GA

My husband and I are planning on taking a cruise with our children. I have sole custody of my son, but I have joint legal custody, I have physical custody of my daughter, who is 9, my husband has joint custody of his son, 13. Due to recent behavior by my ex husband, I had to go through the courts and have his visitation suspended due to drinking and driving with my daughter in the car and doing other activities that were putting my daughters health and well being at risk, not to mention that my daughter is scared of her father right now.

My kids both have a passport, but my question is do I still need to get a letter from him stating that it is ok for me to take her out of the country. Due to him being very angry at me right now, I believe it will be difficult to get this from him.

If I need this letter, what would be other options to getting this?

Thank you for your help!
Ask the cruise line if they will allow her to embark and disembark without a letter from her father. I never needed one when traveling outside of the country with my child, but other people here insist that they are needed. The cruise line will know for sure.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">