• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Taking Child on Vacation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

klong7

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

Back in December my sons father agreed to Let me take my son to Cancun, Mexico. Due to recent media coverage of the deaths in Mexico he says I can no longer take him. I have already bought the plane tickets, hotel, and passport. He says if I try to take him that he will call the cops on me. I tried explaining that none of the tourist are being targeted to be killed. that I will keep our son very safe, and I have put a lot of money in this trip. Can he legally stop me from going on the trip?

Just Blue

Back in December my sons father agreed to Let me take my son to Cancun, Mexico. Due to recent media coverage of the deaths in Mexico he says I can no longer take him. I have already bought the plane tickets, hotel, and passport. He says if I try to take him that he will call the cops on me. I tried explaining that none of the tourist are being targeted to be killed. that I will keep our son very safe, and I have put a lot of money in this trip. Can he legally stop me from going on the trip?
Do you have a court order? If so what does it say on vacations?

As an aside. Kinda curious to me that with the street violence in this country people are so scared of other countries. ;)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

1) Are court orders in place?
2) If yes, do the orders speak to this?
3) Does child have a passport?
4) Do you have permission from dad, in writing, to take the child?

klong7

Court

1) Are court orders in place?
2) If yes, do the orders speak to this?
3) Does child have a passport?
4) Do you have permission from dad, in writing, to take the child?
Yes court order,
it only says we have to notify the other parent, to let them know of any travel.
yes have a passport
and I don't have the permission slip. I have some texts that agree to for him to let me take him. but not in those exact words.

klong7

There is not currently a US State Department warning for Cancun or the Mexican state where it is located.
Correct! but the recent deaths were in Cancun, and about 15 mins away from where we are going to stay.
Any death that happened in Mexico I would get a text saying the trip is canceled. then I would assure its not close to where we are, we will only be a the resort.

PayrollHRGuy

If the order just provides for notification that you are going on vacation it certainly doesn't sound like you have to have his permission.

If you or he happen to live in Chicago you might want to show him the shooting stats for the Windy City.

Week in Progress (4/8 – 4/14)
Shot & Killed: 4
Shot & Wounded: 29
Total Shot: 33
Total Homicides: 5

Just Blue

If the order just provides for notification that you are going on vacation it certainly doesn't sound like you have to have his permission.

If you or he happen to live in Chicago you might want to show him the shooting stats for the Windy City.

Week in Progress (4/8 – 4/14)
Shot & Killed: 4
Shot & Wounded: 29
Total Shot: 33
Total Homicides: 5
There are countries that put the United State on a caution list. OP's Ex should stop watching Fox.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">