• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Termination of Parental Rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dragonblue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

The biological father of my child and I separated in January 2007 and divorced in March of 2007. At the time I had a civil protection order and he was not obligated to pay child support. He had no visitations or obligations. Since the CPO ended he has seen his son about 5 times, at my request. I got married a second time in August of 2007 and the man I am married to is in the military. He has been every definition of my child's father except biological.

The last time I communicated with my son's biological father was September 2009. He inquired about giving up his parental rights. I told him I hadn't decided whether or pursue child support or go along with his request to terminate his rights. He has since blocked me from contacting him online and I have no phone number or address. We are moving out of state again in a few months for a military PCS. I would like to have this taken care of as much as possible before then. How do I proceed? What kind of cost is involved?

I called the Ohio Department of Jobs and Family Services last July to file for child support but I am unsure if anything was ever processed. At this point I think it is in the best interest of all parties for him to give up his parental rights.

dragonblue

My apologies

I realized that there was a section I was supposed to read before I posted. Please disregard the use of the word "biological" if it does not belong. I mention the step parent in the situation because the intent is for him to adopt my son. I'm not sure if this is relevant or not.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

The biological father of my child and I separated in January 2007 and divorced in March of 2007. At the time I had a civil protection order and he was not obligated to pay child support. He had no visitations or obligations. Since the CPO ended he has seen his son about 5 times, at my request. I got married a second time in August of 2007 and the man I am married to is in the military. He has been every definition of my child's father except biological.

The last time I communicated with my son's biological father was September 2009. He inquired about giving up his parental rights. I told him I hadn't decided whether or pursue child support or go along with his request to terminate his rights. He has since blocked me from contacting him online and I have no phone number or address. We are moving out of state again in a few months for a military PCS. I would like to have this taken care of as much as possible before then. How do I proceed? What kind of cost is involved?

I called the Ohio Department of Jobs and Family Services last July to file for child support but I am unsure if anything was ever processed. At this point I think it is in the best interest of all parties for him to give up his parental rights.

If you wish to go with a step-parent adoption (which includes terminating your ex's parental rights), you ideally need to seek an attorney. This really isn't a DIY project.

dragonblue

Can the termination of rights and adoption be done seperately?

My husband, the step-parent is currently deployed overseas. Before he returns to the base he's stationed at in NY, I need to return there to set up residence and whatnot. Since my son's father resides here in Ohio and I am currently living in Ohio for the duration of the deployment I was hoping that I could go about the termination of rights while I was still here.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
My husband, the step-parent is currently deployed overseas. Before he returns to the base he's stationed at in NY, I need to return there to set up residence and whatnot. Since my son's father resides here in Ohio and I am currently living in Ohio for the duration of the deployment I was hoping that I could go about the termination of rights while I was still here.
Nope. Not in Ohio. The child is going to have two parents in this case at all times.

dragonblue

To be certain, there is no way for my son's father to terminate his parental rights, even if he voluntarily wishes to do so, if an adoption is not part of the deal?

And out of curiosity, is this an Ohio thing? I assumed that since my son had been born in Ohio and that's where the divorce was, that I would need to take care of it here. Can I do anything while in another state?

cyjeff

To be certain, there is no way for my son's father to terminate his parental rights, even if he voluntarily wishes to do so, if an adoption is not part of the deal?

And out of curiosity, is this an Ohio thing? I assumed that since my son had been born in Ohio and that's where the divorce was, that I would need to take care of it here. Can I do anything while in another state?
Courts like children to have two parents.

One cannot just decide he doesn't want to be a parent anymore in most jurisdictions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">