• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Termination of Parental rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Actually, New York provides free attorneys (to people who qualify as low income) for family law matters. I do not know if any other states do, but if any do, its not many.
This would be PROBATE COURT. But keep guessing. And showing how wrong you are.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Actually, New York provides free attorneys (to people who qualify as low income) for family law matters. I do not know if any other states do, but if any do, its not many.
My ex did manage to get a free atty for Family Court in NY - but that was for addressing the Order of Protection that I had gotten against him...

However, for something more mundane, like child support modification, that didn't seem to be an option. (Either that, or they were too busy laughing at his petition.)

In any case, OP is in Arizona. So unless geography has recently changed, I'm not sure what the relevance of NY Family Court is.

LdiJ

My ex did manage to get a free atty for Family Court in NY - but that was for addressing the Order of Protection that I had gotten against him...

However, for something more mundane, like child support modification, that didn't seem to be an option. (Either that, or they were too busy laughing at his petition.)

In any case, OP is in Arizona. So unless geography has recently changed, I'm not sure what the relevance of NY Family Court is.
I was responding to the following statement made by someone else:

On what planet does the court appoint you one for free for child custody or support issues?

Eekamouse

She has no knowledge of him or her siblings. She only knows my bf/stepfather
Let me guess. She thinks your bedwarmer is her father, right? He's not her father. He's not her step-father. He's just the guy who her mom is shacking up with and who has him supporting them. Who are you to play judge and jury on the father of your child? You don't have that right. Your child has a father and you are a terrible mother to deny him access to her. She's going to hate your guts when she discovers what you did to her.

Rushia

Actually, Ldij is correct. NY does in fact appoint lawyers for FAMILY court matters. My exhusband was appointed one for his visitation case with his daughter in which HE sued for visitation. He was appointed lawyers several times over the years for CS, whether the mother petitioned or he did. My Ex was ALSO appointed a lawyer in our Grandparent visitation case.

SO I speak from PERSONAL experience living in NY that she is correct.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Actually, Ldij is correct. NY does in fact appoint lawyers for FAMILY court matters. My exhusband was appointed one for his visitation case with his daughter in which HE sued for visitation. He was appointed lawyers several times over the years for CS, whether the mother petitioned or he did. My Ex was ALSO appointed a lawyer in our Grandparent visitation case.

SO I speak from PERSONAL experience living in NY that she is correct.
What about probate cases? Do attorneys get appointed for that? Because that is where adoption falls.

Rushia

What about probate cases? Do attorneys get appointed for that? Because that is where adoption falls.
Well NY does show that we would file them in Family Court or Surrogate Court. So yes. Since it's still Family court and you still get an appointed lawyer if you fall under income guidelines. BTDT.

Eekamouse

Well NY does show that we would file them in Family Court or Surrogate Court. So yes. Since it's still Family court and you still get an appointed lawyer if you fall under income guidelines. BTDT.
Isn't OP in Arizona? Not sure how New York laws are pertinent to this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">