• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

want name change

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SCOTTNEEDSTONO

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? connecticut. My 11 year old son wants my new husbands name. I have sole custody of him through the state of Connecticut. What do I need to do to change his name as soon as possible? Can I do it without an attorney and without his birth fathers permission?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Last edited:

Isis1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? conecticut. My 11 year old son wants my new husbands name. I have sole custody of him through the state of Conecticut. What do I need to do to change his name as soon as possible? Can I do it without an attorney and without his birth fathers permission?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
where is dad?

penelope10

where is dad?
Crud double post. Just copied and pasted onto this thread from the other...

Has anyone contacted Dad to see if he is willing to give up his parental rights?

Also fyi, the courts may not look favorably that the child has been calling another man Dad for 2 years if the child already legally has a father.

OP, please close your other thread so as to avoid confusion and to get more concise responses.
Edit/Delete Message

Last edited:

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? connecticut. My 11 year old son wants my new husbands name. I have sole custody of him through the state of Connecticut. What do I need to do to change his name as soon as possible? Can I do it without an attorney and without his birth fathers permission?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Short answer: No.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Oh, for the edification of our other posters:
SCOTTNEEDSTONO

name change
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? connecticut. Dad lives 30 minutes away. Dad, never makes any attempt to see him. Never calls him, even though this kid has had a cell phone for the last three years. Matthew, is his name and he has been calling me Dad for the last 2 years. He wants me to adopt him as do, I and his Mother. We will be wanting to do that through an attorney, however we recently bought a house in Glastonbury and wanted him to not have a name change in the middle of the school year.as we expect that an addoption may take awhile. I went through that same scenario when I was ten and it had a negative impact on me as kids that age can be cruel. Matthews biological father is under no orders for child support if that matters at all. I have two sons from a previouse marriage that I have had custody of for the last nine years and Matt rally wants to share the same name as the rest of us. Thanks
And no matter if you're Mom or stepdad, Dad is still Dad and that is not you. Short answer remains: No.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">