• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

2 states charging me for child support..... how?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

WaveTech

My kids’ mother moved to Virginia from NY in 2016. She was receiving child support payments through social services in NY. Now she’s getting public assistance in Virginia (TANF is what it’s called in VA). I have been making payments every week to NY. Come to find out, the state of Virginia has been charging me as well for child support. I got a letter last year that my tax refund would be offset for arrears. VA did in fact intercept my taxes and I never got credit for it in NY. I have called both agencies numerous times since a year ago and they say that they’re working on it because I shouldn’t be charged twice for the same kids. A year has passed and nothing has changed. Still have been paying weekly to NY state and I get another tax intercept letter from VA saying I owe them. On top of that, my kids’ mother hasn’t received any payments at all in 2017 from NY.
I’m tired of waiting ..... what should I do????
Can my kids mother ask to close the NY child support case?
I figure if we close the case everything will then get sorted.

LdiJ

My kids’ mother moved to Virginia from NY in 2016. She was receiving child support payments through social services in NY. Now she’s getting public assistance in Virginia (TANF is what it’s called in VA). I have been making payments every week to NY. Come to find out, the state of Virginia has been charging me as well for child support. I got a letter last year that my tax refund would be offset for arrears. VA did in fact intercept my taxes and I never got credit for it in NY. I have called both agencies numerous times since a year ago and they say that they’re working on it because I shouldn’t be charged twice for the same kids. A year has passed and nothing has changed. Still have been paying weekly to NY state and I get another tax intercept letter from VA saying I owe them. On top of that, my kids’ mother hasn’t received any payments at all in 2017 from NY.
I’m tired of waiting ..... what should I do????
Can my kids mother ask to close the NY child support case?
I figure if we close the case everything will then get sorted.
You really need to get an attorney involved if you want to straighten this out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">