• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

arrears of child support for adult child not fathered by person paying

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tamiam

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
so many different questions all tied into this topic. My husband has been paying arrears for 2 adult children for YEARS, now ex-wife has admitted to grown children that one of them wasnt really fathered by him, told the children "I admitted this to him many yrs ago". I have been with him for over 25yrs and i know it as a bold faced lie... The reason the arrears havent been totally paid was because his ex was on AFDC many yrs after she told us she had discontinued... Now my main question is this, since we are still having weekly garnishments along with tax refunds being paid to ca csupport department, can we request a paternity test of the adult child? I feel that his ex should have to face this debt if the child in fact is not biologically his? Had we not had to pay such high arrearages, the debt could have possibly been paid by now, and our credit could be somewhat repaired. We have paid over all the yrs well over 78,000, and have been informed that we still owe well over 85,000 more in penalties and interest... So many lives have been affected from this lie, there is still so much more hurt to come out i am sure. Any directions or advice will be so much appreciated. Thanks

Proserpina

so many different questions all tied into this topic. My husband has been paying arrears for 2 adult children for YEARS, now ex-wife has admitted to grown children that one of them wasnt really fathered by him, told the children "I admitted this to him many yrs ago". I have been with him for over 25yrs and i know it as a bold faced lie... The reason the arrears havent been totally paid was because his ex was on AFDC many yrs after she told us she had discontinued... Now my main question is this, since we are still having weekly garnishments along with tax refunds being paid to ca csupport department, can we request a paternity test of the adult child? I feel that his ex should have to face this debt if the child in fact is not biologically his? Had we not had to pay such high arrearages, the debt could have possibly been paid by now, and our credit could be somewhat repaired. We have paid over all the yrs well over 78,000, and have been informed that we still owe well over 85,000 more in penalties and interest... So many lives have been affected from this lie, there is still so much more hurt to come out i am sure. Any directions or advice will be so much appreciated. Thanks

The time to challenge paternity has long since passed.

It's a done deal.

(Plus, the court CANNOT order an adult child to submit to DNA testing)

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Short answer: No. :cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">