• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Change of circumstance and 'additional costs'

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

doctorchops

Hi guys,

I'm in California and just got a drastic pay-cut. I can barely afford the mortgage and child support. My ex has always included 'additional costs' on top of that child support, the most expensive of this being a nanny, which I have been splitting with her. The mother has the kids Monday-Friday and I do not use that nanny. I can now not afford to split the cost of that nanny with her and have told her so and she is threatening to hire a lawyer etc

In the divorce papers it says:
A. Parities mutually agree that respondent pay petitioner child support $(fixed amount) for support.
B. All reasonable and necessary extra activity costs, child care costs etc shall be equally shared by the parties.

Will I be forced to continue to pay for this nanny even though the wording is slightly ambiguous and my salary has decreased drastically?

Thanks!
doctorchops
First Post

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Hi guys,

I'm in California and just got a drastic pay-cut. I can barely afford the mortgage and child support. My ex has always included 'additional costs' on top of that child support, the most expensive of this being a nanny, which I have been splitting with her. The mother has the kids Monday-Friday and I do not use that nanny. I can now not afford to split the cost of that nanny with her and have told her so and she is threatening to hire a lawyer etc

In the divorce papers it says:
A. Parities mutually agree that respondent pay petitioner child support $(fixed amount) for support.
B. All reasonable and necessary extra activity costs, child care costs etc shall be equally shared by the parties.

Will I be forced to continue to pay for this nanny even though the wording is slightly ambiguous and my salary has decreased drastically?

Thanks!
doctorchops
First Post

I suspect it would depend on the ages of the kids and her work schedule.

That said, there are many mothers of school age children who don't have nannies.

HRZ

A major reduction in pay suggests a review of your overall fact pattern by competent counsel ....SOON ..any reductions are unlikely to be retroaction ..so if an action makes sense..get it underway,,soon.

PS many a parent has a very demanding work schedule AND commute all without a nanny!

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
The number & ages of children, the hours care is needed, availability/cost of alternate care, etc. will all factor into whether you should rock the boat or not. I'd do some research, crunch the numbers, discuss with lawyer first.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">