• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child support adjustment advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Justis369

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I already know how to file an amendment to take the father back to court to have child support adjusted but I need advice, I'm low income and in college working on my nursing degree and have shared custody of our 6 year old son, the father was working at a hospital as an RN when we were divorced but has since changed jobs and is now a travel home health nurse making $22 an hour of taxable income plus a tax free housing stipend totaling $1500 a week and i'm only receiving $225 a month in child support and the father doesn't do anything for our child, he typically leaves him with his mother when he's supposed to have him. but with his level of income and just knowing him as a person I know he's going to get a lawyer when we go back to court and even though I know there shouldn't be many problems with getting an adjustment I know he's going to fight it hard and I was just wondering if anybody had any advice on what to expect and how to handle it? Thanks

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I already know how to file an amendment to take the father back to court to have child support adjusted but I need advice, I'm low income and in college working on my nursing degree and have shared custody of our 6 year old son, the father was working at a hospital as an RN when we were divorced but has since changed jobs and is now a travel home health nurse making $22 an hour of taxable income plus a tax free housing stipend totaling $1500 a week and i'm only receiving $225 a month in child support and the father doesn't do anything for our child, he typically leaves him with his mother when he's supposed to have him. but with his level of income and just knowing him as a person I know he's going to get a lawyer when we go back to court and even though I know there shouldn't be many problems with getting an adjustment I know he's going to fight it hard and I was just wondering if anybody had any advice on what to expect and how to handle it? Thanks
1) Expect to be imputed with at least a full time minimum wage income.
2) Expect that the time dad has the child (even if the child is with his mother) counts for dad. You never have your family spend time with your child?
3) What is the shared parenting time you have? The breakdown of time? Every other week? Or does someone only get every other weekend?
4) How long ago was the divorce?
5) Was your income imputed at the time of the child support? Was there a deviation for any reason?

Dad has every right to get a lawyer. Does your child have health insurance? Does dad have health insurance available through his job?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">