• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Costs of a child's birth?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rhodi

I'm in WA state and my ex is in British Columbia. I gave birth to our 2nd child 2 months after we legally separated.

In speaking with my BC lawyer about setting up child support we realized my ex might be partially on the hook for birth costs? This is new for us since it's generally free or close to in Canada to have a baby.

Am I right to request my ex pay his 60% of our 60/40 split for "extraordinary costs" related to the children for the birth?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I'm in WA state and my ex is in British Columbia. I gave birth to our 2nd child 2 months after we legally separated.

In speaking with my BC lawyer about setting up child support we realized my ex might be partially on the hook for birth costs? This is new for us since it's generally free or close to in Canada to have a baby.

Am I right to request my ex pay his 60% of our 60/40 split for "extraordinary costs" related to the children for the birth?
Are you divorced from your ex? Where is the divorce taking place? Or was this just a breakup?

Rhodi

Are you divorced from your ex? Where is the divorce taking place? Or was this just a breakup?
I'm legally separated as the divorce is taking place in BC, Canada and I will not be able to file for divorce until next June.

My child was born in WA state where I reside now.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I'm legally separated as the divorce is taking place in BC, Canada and I will not be able to file for divorce until next June.

My child was born in WA state where I reside now.
Then BC will be dealing with custody as this is a child born of the marriage.

Rhodi

Then BC will be dealing with custody as this is a child born of the marriage.
Right, but will my ex-spouse be responsible for part of the cost of her birth if we split the extraordinary expenses (medical, childcare, etc)? That was what I was wanting to know.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I have medicaid, but there were $900 of extra charges I had to pay out of pocket.
You MAY be able to recoup a portion of the costs in your divorce proceedings, but that depends on the laws in Canada. Speak to your lawyer. At this point, yours is not a US law question.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">